Newbie festival kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezbongo

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a newbie to this and have just done my first batch.
I used a festival pilgrims hope kit.
I followed the instructions to the letter but have left in my barrel for a week longer than it says. Which is not an easy task!! Any way I went to try it last night and it was very flat and cloudy!! I used a co2 canister to give it some gas. It came out with a good head but was still really cloudy. I'm guessing this isn't normal. I wouldn't accept it in a pub will it settle and clear or is it ruined and needs chucking away and start again??
Cheers. Jez.

Hi Jez, welcome and DON'T CHUCK IT..! :doh: Chances are it's good, but needs chilling for a while ( if possible). :grin: Tough call I know, but given time and a cool period it should clear.

Regarding CO2, keep your barrel pressurised while it's stored somewhere cool, the beer will carbonate. The cooler the beer, the quicker it carbonates.
But if you're thirsty, and we all have that problem, you'll have to drink it cloudy & flat. :-?
Good luck :thumb:

Hi Jesbongo. As Marlon says probably fine. Most kit instructions are extremely optimistic even in the most ideal conditions. My barrell brews also taking fair time to clear this time of year. Not a bad thing as generally speaking the beer will likely improve from the extra time. Lots of threads and advice on here ref that sort of thing.
Hope it all works out.

Thanks for the help. I'll leave it to see what happens. Fingers crossed it'll turn out ok.

Just a thought ref carbonation. The caps on the barells are easily over tightened and the rubber seal loses contact. Worth putting a squirt of co2 in if poss and listening around cap for any leak just in case..
Do let us know how goes in long run, like the look of this kit for brewing later in the year!
Steve

Back