Newbie from London

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullseye

Reaction score
Hello all, just signed up tonight, and i have just got into this home brewing lark. I think I'm hooked already! :cheers:
I got myself a starter kit that came with a Woodforde's Wherry with a pressure barrel, but i like a beer chilled, so i'm collecting a few bottles before i get started on the beer.
In my hurry to get started i made a trip to wilko's and got a couple of DJ's and i now have two brews on the go.
I started a Turbo cider on wednesday and a Wurzel today. :D Do all brews start like steam trains?
Anyway, i'm picking up plenty of tips on the forum. Can't wait to get a home brew down me Gregory!

Welcome to the Forum Bullseye.
I would start your "Wherry" sooner, rather than later, as it takes at least 6 weeks to mature after ferment.
Most brews go bananas the first few days, the trick is to allow space for it!
Good luck with your future brewing.

ericstd said:
Welcome to the Forum Bullseye.
I would start your "Wherry" sooner, rather than later, as it takes at least 6 weeks to mature after ferment.
Most brews go bananas the first few days, the trick is to allow space for it!
Good luck with your future brewing.
Thanks eric, i will get it on in the next week. My local Lidl's is doing a deal on beers from monday, 12 bottles of Hobgoblin for £12! its a steal, i may get a couple of cases. :cheers:

ericstd said:
bullseye said:
its a steal, i may get a couple of cases.
I certainly would!
Last week i popped in and picked up a couple of bottles of Marston's oyster stout, i don't know if you like this kind of beer, but it was lovely. Bit of luck its on offer too!

bullseye said:
Bit of luck its on offer too!
You could be pushing your luck there.
I've never heard of "Oyster Stout", but then I'm not a great fan of bottled beer.

Welcome Bullseye! Have fun with the brew's!
I'm quite a fan of Oyster stout, it's more like a porter than an outright Guinnessy stout. Lovely stuff though!

Petros said:
Welcome Bullseye! Have fun with the brew's!
I'm quite a fan of Oyster stout, it's more like a porter than an outright Guinnessy stout. Lovely stuff though!
Its very good indeed, cheers Petros. :drink:

Welcome Bullseye,

If you're as impatient as you claim then the Wurzel's was a great choice. Its definately drinkable within a month of starting but be sure to start another batch asap, it gets better if you can leave it a month or more. :cheers:

Samarith said:
Welcome Bullseye,

If you're as impatient as you claim then the Wurzel's was a great choice. Its definately drinkable within a month of starting but be sure to start another batch asap, it gets better if you can leave it a month or more. :cheers:
Thank you Samarith, i must say the Wurzel's was something else! The airlock started bubbling within half an hour, and the kitchen has been filled with the most wonderfull smell this past week.
I am stuck on only one thing and that is the topping up. I filled up to the shoulder of the DJ and now the vigorous ferment has subsided, I'm not sure what to top up with. I plan to rack off to another DJ on sunday and add a campden tablet and potassium sorbate as per the recipe. I would like to top up with grape juice, but I'm not sure when i can safely do this due to refermentation.

I will also put on another Wurzel's on sunday :D and bottle my turbo cider.

Back