Newbie questions, answers needed please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsu monkey

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to brewing and new to this forum, I have a few questions I need help with if possible.

I started a simply pale ale kit 16 days ago using the 1.8kg pouch, 1 x 1kg coopers brew enhancer 1. The equipment I'm using is the coopers starter kit.
I made up the beer as per instructions giving a reading of 1.40 at 25 degrees c, I then pitched the yeast at 24 degrees, a bit hotter than I would have liked but it was getting late at night.
I then moved the fv to a cupboard giving a nice constant temp of 20 degrees for the first week then it lowered to 18 degrees.
I took a reading after 10 days giving a reading of 1.20 at 18 degrees
I took another reading today (16th day) giving me 1.16 at 18 degrees
I then panicked and gave the beer a gentle stir with a sterilised spoon.

Basically what I'm asking is, had my beer finished fermenting? What difference do the different start and end temperatures make on the hydrometer?
And lastly, have I ruined my first brew by stirring it?

Cheers

G

Welcome :cheers: No you haven't ruined it by stirring. Leave it alone for a week or so to finish. At 18c it's on the low side so yeast need more time. Try warming to 20c but it's not drastic and 18 is fine.

Hi Bob
Thanks for your reply. I was a bit confused as to why it was taking so long as it had had a week at 20 degrees.
Also with me not understanding temperature and hydrometer readings I thought it may have been finished without me realising.

I've got a lot to learn with this brewing thing!

Cheers

G

your slow fermentation may have been caused by the way you pitched the yeast. Just tipping it in is not the best way. Much of the yeast can die this way :( Search for information on rehydration of the yeast. If you rehydrate correctly you can maximise yeast survival and get things off to a good, quick start. This also helps to get the alcohol level up, which in turn protects the beer from infection. As has been said already it probably just needs time. Be patient and don't bottle 'til you have a stable gravity for 2 or 3 days. You then may wish to put it somewhere cool to allow the **** to drop out of it. You'll end up with less sediment in the bottles and a clearer beer in the glass.

Yes I sprinkled it into the surface, left it for a couple of minutes and gave it a stir.

Do you recommend using yeast nutrient when brewing?

No need for yeast nutrient in beer. There is plenty in there. However a really good rouse is needed before you pitch the yeast to get some oxygen in there.

When I stirred it the yeast packed down at the bottom of the fv got disturbed and seems to still be floating in the beer after 3 days, is this normal? Will it clear?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back