Newbie to brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Reyneke

Reaction score
Good evening all I just joined up so thought I’d say hey and possibly ask for some help from those of you wiser and more knowledgeable than myself.
My wife’s parents have 5 apple trees so thought I’d brew some of my own apple cider this year.
I fermented 23litres of fresh apple juice and the fermentation went well from 1.045 abv to 1.000 Abv. I syphoned the cider from the fermentation bucket into 4 demijohns about 3 weeks ago, checked it today and it has a layer of I’m guessing white mould ontop in 2 of the Demi’s.
Any help of why or what to do would be much appreciated? Is it spoiled or can it be saved. Can’t figure out how to post a picture as I’m guessing that would help.
Thanks in advance

Sounds like a film yeast. It's not something to be too concerned about. You could crush and shake a campden or two in but personally I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think it affects the taste I usually give it a little shake before racking / bottling and it will fall to the bottom.

CB92B163-66D0-4F53-B0FE-63979487EDE9.jpeg

Hey Freester thanks so much for the reply really appreciate it, I finally figured out how to add an image, does this look like the yeast film you’re talking about? It’s also just confusing as it’s in two of the demijohns but not the other 2, could it be the fact that these are the outside two of where I have them stored, maybe a bit warmer, possibly exposed to more light even though they’re mostly covered up?
Really appreciate you’re feedback 😊

Why not rack off the liquid from under the white stuff to another DJ, leaving the white stuff behind?
I did think about that but as I wasn’t sure what the white stuff is and if it could be ‘harmful’ and potentially affected the cider below as well I wasn’t sure if that was a gd option or not.

I did think about that but as I wasn’t sure what the white stuff is and if it could be ‘harmful’ and potentially affected the cider below as well I wasn’t sure if that was a gd option or not.
You won't really know whether its 'harmful' or not until later, and then I'm sure taste alone will help you decide whether they are spoiled or not. Personally I would rack off now and at least you can stop thinking about it. And then mark the racked off DJs so you can identify them later on, but in the meantime keep an eye on the others.

Afternoon gents. Thanks both for the help and advice, I may try some experimenting and try build up some working knowledge and experience and see what happens. I’ll put a campden tablet in one DJ and rack off the other and see what happens. It’s all a learning experience. I used a juicer this year to process the apples but not next year, takes to long and to much pulp left in the juice. If the cider fails my wife will be happy as she can make some proper apple cider vinegar then haha. Thanks again much appreciated

Yup it's a film yeast. Personally I wouldn't be too concerned. I'd crush a campden or two sprinkle them on top 👍
Do you why this occures, is it to warm where the DJ’s are stored or to much oxygen in the top of the DJ or ........?
Thanks

Back