Newbiee kinda.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booza101

Reaction score
Hi all, Just started my 1st beer brew (a coopers IPA), and collecting new equipment. Done wine in the past (donkeys ago) with various out comes (all drinkable). Been meaning to try brew beer for a long time but all the equipment vanished around the time the Ex did! Anyhoo the new lady got me some basics a few years back and never got round to doing out (was gona try mead and will do one day). Last week I found a brew bucket and kingkeg pressure barrel in a charity shop for 4 beer tokens! which has started me brewing again. Looking forward to it!!!

Well so far so good! Big learning curve. Didn’t realise i had to add sugar and didn’t know what enhancer was either. Lotsa reading this week after i made up a coopers IPA last Saturday. Gravity very low, scratches head watches some more utubes on making beer. Luckily had half a kg of wilkos fermentation sugar left, as had put a demijohn of wine on 1st. Topped up with caster sugar to add around 1kg.
Gravity was alot better after that. Bubbled away lovely for four days.
Yesterday day 7 I sterilised all kit again, checked gravity and was 1.001 maybe 1.002 so made up a 70g sugar water popped it in the pb along with beer doing it slowly with the siphon tube also put some when finished out of the kegs tap into one bottle which has a flip cap.
Left both in attic so same temp.
Pressuring the pb a little just so it has a blanket of co2
Am gona leave for 2 weeks then transfer to garage for 2 before popping in fridge i guess?
Been reading about cold crashing which I believe they do before racking to help clear i think.
Drank the beer i tested the gravity with very nice imo and was already very slightly carbonated. Go me! 😁

Nah.
I use cane caster sugar for bottle priming only because it goes the the machine better. Never worry if its dissolved.

When I do a 23l wine with 5kg of sugar I don't worry if it is not all dissolved.. The yeast know where to look 👍🏼😁

As an aside I do this cane sugar it nicer than beet.

Well keg fits in the beer fridge! 🤩
But tap leaks, ordered new one but will have to drink all the IPA first 😁
It’s been going down nicely over the past couple of days. Mostly into me.
Tap not too bad if pressure is around 6psi. what pressure should it be?
ps wine finished also, very fruity and drinkable.

Back