NEWBY

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Try_and_Try_Again

Reaction score
hi everyone, new to all of this, have just started my first brew, i have done a Tom Claxton Real Ale, going well, loads of bubbles etc, i was wondering on the thoughts of using either carbonation drops or sugar when bottling, how many drops into a 500ml bottle, bag states 1 for 375ml, two for 750ml, and looks like they may break up if i try to break them in half, or what measure of sugar in the same 500ml bottle, once ive done a few, ready made kits, i will venture into experiments!!!!,, thanks folks, and hope to converse again, :ugeek:

Hi and welcome :thumb:

Carbonation drops can be a little inconsistent, but as you have them you might as well use them. Only 1drop is needed for ale in a 500ml bottle. As for sugar I use half 1/4 teaspoon for a stout 1/2 a teaspoon for ale and a full teaspoon for lagar. You'll find sugar is not only a lot cheaper but also 100% consistant.

Good luck

Hi thanks for the reply, the drops only cost me £2, so no great loss, think I will go sugar route, thanks for the advice, regards

I use a sanitised sharp knife, turn the carb drops on their side and half them that way.

It is not consistent though. Some break exactly in half, others don't.

I'll be moving onto sugar for my next brew (Coopers Lager). I reckon I'll be moving to batch priming soon as putting sugar into 35-40 bottles is laborious.

hi, i have tried half and half, to see how it turns out, but really greatful for the help and advice, many thanks.....

Back