next BIAB IPA...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_p87

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm thinking about doing a brew soon and was hoping for some feedback on the following recipe(s)...

Planning to do a 23L brew split into 2 or maybe even 4 (and dry hop the batches differently). I'm doing BIAB with a 19L pot so will end up diluting post-boil. Rough idea is to do the following:

- 4.5kg Marris otter w/ 700g flaked oats
- Mash at 68degC for 60 mins + a sparge to brim my 19L pot
- Boil for an hour
- 100g Magnum added very late boil (maybe even flameout)...is this a good idea?
- Chill, dilute down to 23L or approx. 5% ABV & pitch s05 yeast into split batches

1st batch (11.5litres)
- Dry hop for 5 days after about 7 days with 40g cascade, 40g columbus & 40g ekuanot (open to suggestions on hop pairings and quantity!)

2nd batch (11.5litres)
- Dry hop for 5 days after about 7 days with 60g galaxy and 60g simcoe

Then bottle condition for 3 weeks+

Any recommendations/tips would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

Hi, I'm not sure what the oats will bring in that quantity, do you want it 'hazy' because I think that's what you'll get with that. Do you have carapils or flaked barley?

Magnum is a bittering hop really, so you might want that in the boil earlier but in less quantity. For example my recent ipa had 20g magnum at the start of the boil (60 mins). With 60g of 3 types of aroma hops chucked in at different times in the last 15 mins. I don't like my ipa searingly bitter but still it is 60 ibu's which is fairly bitter. I will dry hop after 7 days as well.

The dry hops sound great, anything with simcoe in is a winner for me.

thanks for the responses, could anyone suggest a different bittering addition with the magnum? I don't want much bitterness really, <30 IBUs I would say. Would flameout hops not impart bitterness to a lesser amount whilst giving aroma too?

With the oats I just wanted to try and increase the body of the beer a bit (new to this homebrewing obsession!) and read that 10-20% is a good amount without causing issues with stuck mashes. What would carapils or flaked barley do for me and in what sort of quantities? Thanks!

So the oats would definitely add body, I put oats in my neipa. Although I'm not sure you want that much body in an ipa, unless you want a hazy neipa type. The carapils and/or flaked barley would add a little body and helps with head retention and you could keep your beer clear with those.

So personally I think you should put some bittering hops in at the start of the boil, however I'm sure some would disagree. Some hops at flameout would give you some bitterness as long as the temp remains above 80c. Magnum though wont give you much 'flavour' or aroma used as a flameout hop . Personally I would just feel that it would be a bit unbalanced without some boil additions. You can work out ibu on a free app, I use beersmith. I would have thought 10g magnum at the start of the boil would give a little just to balance things out. And then do you late hop/dry hop additions as you posted in your first post.

Latest posts

Back