next brew attempt!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibison

Reaction score
thinking of a blueberry cider.

thinking 2.5L apple juice
2L blueberry
a mug of strong tea
teaspoon of pectolase
and obviously yeast and nutrient

sugar content of my juices are blueberry - 130g/L and apple juice - 111g/L
so my total sugar from that alone is 537.5g, now my question is, should I water that down or is it ok to just go ahead? (before I start it as well, can anyone explain how I'd work out my ABV? I've seen a few things online but I always seem to manage to much it up :nah: )

ok thought I'd add a quick extra comment here, if I add an extra 150g of sugar if what I've just worked out that should be about 6-7%.

hopefully someone can say well done, heres a wee pat on the back, I've been scratching my head on this one :P

rule of thumb : 20g/l=1%
So your 537.5, if put into a gallon (4.5l) is near enough 120g/l or near enough 6%
An extra 150g adds about 1.6% more.
Priming sugar when you bottle/keg is worth another half percent.

I'd go with just 1l of blueberry myself, put more AJ in
And leave out the sugar
And the pectolase is unnecessary, imho

ahh ok thanks for the reply, I was working it out at 5L would that be a massive difference?

and no need for the pectolase, exellent, one less thing to forget to put in :P been sampling some of the fruit punch I've made :P

In 5l instead of 4.5 knock off 10% from the 4.5 figure, if you happen to have calc'd it.
But your 537g comes out to almost dead on 5% in 5l. Plus a bit from the priming, should be enough. I mean, you want to drink more than 3 of an evening, yeh?

i made this and the blueberry was there but not massively - that was with 1L. maybe you'd want to try 1.5L if you want some blueberry impact, or even pour it in after the apple ferments :thumb:

oldbloke said:
In 5l instead of 4.5 knock off 10% from the 4.5 figure, if you happen to have calc'd it.
But your 537g comes out to almost dead on 5% in 5l. Plus a bit from the priming, should be enough. I mean, you want to drink more than 3 of an evening, yeh?

Haha point taken yeah I'd like to enjoy a few :D

I'll leave out the extra sugar

RobWalker said:
i made this and the blueberry was there but not massively - that was with 1L. maybe you'd want to try 1.5L if you want some blueberry impact, or even pour it in after the apple ferments :thumb:

Hmm... I think I'll give that a go since I'd like a bit more than a hint of blueberry, I'll add in the extra half and see how it all turns out

Again thanks for the help lads, appreciated!

I tried a blueberry cider using 4l apple juice and 1l blueberry juice. It's okay, but not much blueberry flavour. Those supermarket blueberry juice cartons (assuming thats what you have) have very little blueberry juice in them, and what flavour there is in it is probably mostly destroyed during fermentation. You could try adding the blueberry juice after initial fermentation has settled down, but then if you're using nearly half blueberry juice it might not make much difference anyway.

This week I hope to try making a blueberry cider with fruit teabags - I got a pack of those Apple and Blueberry teabags and will simmer them in 1/2 litre of water too add to 4l of apple juice. If it goes well, I will try making a wine version of it my adding sugar and a litre of grape juice too!

I have just racked a blueberry tc using 4l aj and 250g of fresh blueberries. taste was really good already and if the cartons are a juice drink type I think I would go with the 2l

Yeah I read the label it's less that'll half blueberry :/

However your tea at idea sounds nice, I might give that a go :D

Latest posts

Back