Next Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fazzer

Reaction score
So I finished carbonating my coopers stout last week and it's been conditioning in the garage since. I decided to have a taste today and its not got a head and tastes a bit tangy. Am I bit premature on the tasting?

Got the next one going though. Got myself a fridge with heater and temp control. Doing a coopers draught.
20220206_144647.jpg

I will bottle this as well but i have a acquired a plastic 23l pressure barrel and thinking of doing an ale as i know it wont carb up as much in the keg.
I'm thinking Cwtch cos i'm a welshman!
Anyone have any suggestions on what works well in a pressure barrel?

Just leave it a little longer to mature chances are the taste will change and even when carbed early beers do not always have a head but it can develop one with a little maturation.
Also make sure yours glasses have not been near any detergent or dish washer as it can kill the head on a beer

I find the long you leave it the better. About 2 weeks to ferment. Then a good 10 -14 days to prime and then the longer you leave it to clear/mature the better. I do 1L bottles and I find the last bottle is always the best. As I wrote this I’m drinking a bottle I found at the back of my cold spot that’s been there about 6 months and is still good.

Cwtch is a very good kit and definitely worth doing.When I did it (brew 3) it really opened my eyes on dry hopping

I’ve done a couple of beers which were not great after a month in the bottle. Tangy, just not pleasant to drink. However 2 months later again they were completely different beers and better than any commercial craft beer. Some kits are fantastic from the start but nearly all get better with age. Try a bottle every week or two and I’m sure you’ll notice an improvement.

Yes I read a lot of comments like that and in all fairness, coopers say themselves that it will improve with age.
It's just being patient!

Back