Nitrous oxide: MP wants to see tightening of laughing gas laws

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How are they going to restrict sales?

1595361728802.png

An MP is calling for ministers to carry out a review into the use of nitrous oxide as a recreational drug.

Rosie Duffield will use a Commons debate on Tuesday to call for the substance - also known as laughing gas - to be reclassified.

The Labour MP says she believes is it becoming a new "gateway drug" for young people.

But a leading drugs charity says any move to tighten the law would be counter-productive.

Silver canisters

Sold legally, nitrous oxide is used for medical and commercial uses, such as making whipped cream - but is illegal when sold as a psychoactive drug.

When inhaled, the gas can cause elation and hallucinations.

In some cases, it can lead to a lack of oxygen, causing unconsciousness or suffocation.

The discarded silver canisters that the gas comes in have become a familiar sight underfoot in many parks and streets.

Read in full - MP to call for laughing gas restrictions

I have seen people driving while sucking on the stuff.
i have never tried it but I have been told that it would be worse than driving drunk.

It's briefly fun. Can make you pass out. Great taken whilst on other drugs.

Most people get to try it in an ambulance or in hospital. Often while giving birth (my wife had a bad 6 say labour where occasionally tried her gas and air)

It's a very safe drug really. Unless you are driving...

It's briefly fun. Can make you pass out. Great taken whilst on other drugs.

Most people get to try it in an ambulance or in hospital. Often while giving birth (my wife had a bad 6 say labour where occasionally tried her gas and air)

It's a very safe drug really. Unless you are driving...

What is used in hospital is Entonox slightly different to what these idiots are inhaling

What is used in hospital is Entonox slightly different to what these idiots are inhaling
It's the same

At free parties people some times sell balloons of it from stolen hospital gas cylinders

...safe drug use. I thought that was only if doctors gave you them...
Safe is relative isn't it.
Someone scoffing some magic mushrooms once a year is being a lot safer than someone drinking 10 pints a day.
Or someone having little mdma once or twice a year that they've had tested is probably doing less damage to their body than someone prescribed daily heavy duty painkillers.

Joust are you suggesting there should be no age restriction on buying this?

They put an age restriction on glue to stop kids sniffing it I can see it being introduced for this and soon.

Joust are you suggesting there should be no age restriction on buying this?

They put an age restriction on glue to stop kids sniffing it I can see it being introduced for this and soon.
Nah.
It should probably be sold the same as solvents. Age restrictions make sense, I guess.

I'm not sure it'll make any difference. It's all bought from Amazon or eBay

I confess my naivity that for a long time when I saw these lying on the pavement I assumed they where CO2 cartridges for pumping up bicycle tyres. It was only when I started to purchase CO2 carriages for home brewing and had to read and agree to a disclaimer (the company discount cream mostly sells nitrous oxide) that I realised what the other type of cartridge was.

Even drinking too much water can kill you.

I'm not saying you can't knacker yourself with N20. You can, obviously. But on the scale of damage it's pretty low.

At the same time it's not something kids should really be doing.

But with everything we should look to the experts (and definitely not politicians and police chiefs)

Someone scoffing some magic mushrooms once a year is being a lot safer than someone drinking 10 pints a day.
An aside, I remember you used to be able to buy magic mushrooms until about 15 years ago, under the disclaimer that they weren't for consumption, until the law was changed. There was a shop in Manchester city centre that used to sell them in the same sort of tubs you buy strawberries in, it was just like buying groceries.

Latest posts

Back