No fizz!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesteve

Reaction score
Since I started brewing I often have an issue with a lack of fizz in my beers and I am starting to wonder if am I doing something wrong when I wash and sterilise bottles. I normally wash them out with a bit of fairy liquid then rinse then sterilise using VWP after which I rinse twice. Should I be allowing them to dry - would that even make a difference?

Apart from that, I follow the priming levels on the Brewers Friend calculator. I have tried both adding the sugar directly to the bottle and also by making a small solution to add to the bottling bucket but it is very hit and miss as to whether they carbonate properly. I usually keep the bottles at room temperature for two weeks before moving to the garage. Any ideas where I could be going wrong? I normally use brewing sugar for priming.

Might be worth not using the Fary Liquid, I know you're rinsing them but I was told ages ago not to use washing up liquid for cleaning anything HB as it leaves a residue.

I've seen people convey dismay at the mention of fairy liquid, though I have never had a problem washing my FV etc in it prior to a good rinse then sanitisation.

In terms of priming, it sounds like you do what I do, and mine never lack fizz. Could you provide examples of what you've bottled (total volume, quantity and type of sugar used etc)? I keep mine at 20C for 2 weeks also before moving somewhere cooler for a mont or two.
Are you use PET or glass? If glass, are you sure you're capping properly?

When you say it's hit and miss as to whether they carbonate, do you mean the entire batch, or that it is hit and miss within the batch? If the latter, I imagine that the priming sugar is not mixed in enough - do you add the sugar solution to the bottling bucket before or after transferring the beer to it?

I don't think I have ever kept a note of how much priming sugar I have used actually, I should probably start doing so. It is glass bottles I always use and they "sound" fizzy when opening. Thinking about it, it maybe is hit and miss throughout the batch. I add the priming solution before transferring the beer - I never mix it as such as I always thought this risked oxidising the beer. Should I be?

No, not normally. I poured a couple of bottles last night and the head on them was not bad but still not much fizz.

I add the priming solution before transferring the beer - I never mix it as such as I always thought this risked oxidising the beer. Should I be?
I've read posts on here stating that they put the sugar/dextrose striaght into the FV before bottling without stirring and it works. Maybe next time if you have a spare FV use it as a bottling bucket or add the sugar straight to the bottles before filling just to see if that makes it any better.

Another thing you can posibly try is to fill just one pet bottle (Iknow you don't like them) out of the batch and that way you can feel if it is nice and firm after the two weeks carbing.

I'm assuming you don't use a second FV(bottling bucket) you just tip it into the primary FV and bottle from that.
No, I do use a second bucket Banbeer. I add the priming solution to the 2nd bucket then transfer from 1st to second on top of the priming solution then bottle from there using a bottling wand.

I never mix it as such as I always thought this risked oxidising the beer. Should I be?
When you siphon, do you place the tubing in the bottom of the bottling bucket against the side? This will whirlpool the priming solution.
Your OP mentioned hit or miss on carbonation or whatever it was you wrote. That could be a capping issue or non-uniform mixture. Technically, it could be a little of both. Those points were mentioned above, more or less.
Gently stirring the beer to ensure it's mixed isn't that big of a deal, I don't think, especially at this stage, and I would do it to rule out "not properly mixed."
I get one flat beer every two batches but I believe it's just my rubber gaskets on the Grolsch bottles I use.

Change up you cleaning procedures. When I used to bottle, this was my routine. Put all the bottles in the bath and fill with water until they are all submerged. Pour in about 250ml of THIN bleach at the start to make sure it is thoroughly mixed in with the water. Leave to soak for 20 mins. Remove bottles and rinse out before bottling up. I did this for years. Never had an issue with infection, off flavours or lack of carbonation. Worth a try.

Also, when you are finished with a bottle that you wish to reuse, rinse it out sooner rather than later. Don't leave it to crust up.

Not really Clint. Looks ok to start with and looks fizzy in the bottle once opened and before I pour.

For Cider I'm using around 10 ml of Priming sugar in boiling water for each pint. Seems to have a good fizz and I use the dish washer on my glasses

Latest posts

Back