no sugar ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PD

Landlord.
Reaction score
according to the farmers the sugar beet crop this year has so far been very poor for unknown reasons and they are shouting Shortage of sugar shortage of sugar......... :roll:
so its a good job I've got myself a couple of cornies.......

I can save the wife 100 gms of priming sugar per brew....now that's considerate of me............. :twisted:

piddledribble said:
according to the farmers the sugar beet crop this year has so far been very poor for unknown reasons and they are shouting Shortage of sugar shortage of sugar......... :roll:
so its a good job I've got myself a couple of cornies.......

I can save the wife 100 gms of priming sugar per brew....now that's considerate of me............. :twisted:
You are the gift that never stops giving PD!!!! :cheers: :D

I know.................. :whistle: :whistle:

Will have to try that excuse with swmbo, maybe them she will let me have a corny or 2 lol

Funny thing is, beet was never (well, rarely) used to make sugar until after the great West Indies cane sugar explosion back in mumble
Beets were just fed to animals.
Which is why mead was a North Europe drink - most widely available source of sugars
Unless there's problems in the cane plantations as well, I'm not going to worry

oldbloke said:
Funny thing is, beet was never (well, rarely) used to make sugar until after the great West Indies cane sugar explosion back in mumble
Which is why mead was a North Europe drink - most widely available source of sugars

Agreed. Pretty sure beets only account for something like 15% of the words sugar production.
If not, we might all have to take up another hobby - bee keeping!

andyakameatloaf said:
oldbloke said:

Agreed. Pretty sure beets only account for something like 15% of the words sugar production.

Quiet you 2 I'm trying to get SWMBO to let me have cornys :pray:

andyakameatloaf said:
oldbloke said:

I really fancy getting some bees. Ages since I saw a proper honeybee. Had a few of the big fatso bees around, but no honeybees. Got a spare spot in the garden that might suit...

unfortunately I've actually had to have pest control out last week for bees.
I felt very guilty about it what with them being bees and not wasps, but it was becoming a hazard.
they were nesting in the holes in my wooden door frame of my back door, which meant that every time we went outside we literally had to walk within inches of the hive, something that they didn't take kindly to. Never stung but you could tell they were extremely agitated, and I figured it was only a matter of time. Didn't fancy being swarmed!

Where I grew up there was chocolate factory and if you had bee trouble you called them and they sorted it. Dunno what they did with them coz it never happened to anybody I knew, but everybody in the town knew that's who you called.

had bees nesting under my shed door one year, was a little hazardous but we managed to respect each other ( no small children ) Was interesting to watch them.

The swarm of wasps inside the roof above my front door was a problem tho. Put it out of actin for a couple of weeks, but when they found their way down the light fitting into the front porch area, drastic action had to be taken. I puffer pack of wasp nest killer and I went up my ladders just after dark ( read that was the safest time ).
% mins puffing up the ladder ( literally ) and da daaa. no more wasps ! great stuff.

I agree about the sugar beet not having too great an impact on the sugar busisness, its probably just the first shout from the farmers this year.

I remember the Midlands farmers stopped growing sugar beet years ago , not sure were they grow it now ,but haven't seen any for ages.

i live on the lincs/cambs boarder and the amount of beet looking the same as any other years. the rape took a beating as the fields were to wet to crop

yes the rape fields are looking " sparse " this year lots of gaps in the crops....might have to eat real butter later in the year

As far as bees go, there are literally hundreds of types of bee. If they are in the woodwork or brick work they are probably not honey bees. Also there are several types of bumble bee that nest as well.

As a beekeeper I collect the occasional swarm and there are plenty of us about that can do it. Have a look on http://www.bbka.org.uk/ for the closest group and contact them. They usually have a list of who can collect and send someone out for you. We then re-home the bees rather than kill them.

If anyone finds as swarm and they are not sure if it is bees give them a call anyway and they can help identify them. I have been sent out to someone who was sure it was bees and when i got there big paper nest of wasps was waiting for me... I hate Wasps!!

@oldbloke or anyone else if you want to chat about beekeeping pm me and i can fill you in a bit

a round of applause for All the bee keepers....

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

oh and if anyone is interested in bee keeping you can pop down to a local meeting and they will have spare suits and loads of hives you can have a look in.

It can be quite a shock to have 70,000 bees flying around you while you look at the hive.

If you do want to continue you can join up and often someone in the group will have spare bits they can sell you cheap. the setup of new equipment can be quite costly!

Back