Not Going So Well

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattb1969

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I’ve come back to home brew after many years and my first brew is not going well so far.

I mixed up a Dark Rock Brewing Amber ale, with their Enhancer rather than sugar 7 ½ days ago. Mixing it up, I used the mix of hot and cold water as expected and then put the fermentation vessel in the office in the middle of our house as it was most stable on temperature.

A couple of days later, I checked the temperature from the LCD thermometer stuck on the side of the vessel and it wasn’t registering as it was too cold, probably about 17 Deg C. I moved the fermenter into my bedroom which is a little warmer and ofter placing an order, added a heat mat last Thursday underneath it. When I added the pad, I waited a little time before giving the brew a good slow stir to try to restart fermentation. Temperature has improved, I’m now trying to keep the temperature around 22, but it does goes a little higher and lower from time to time.

Since adding the mat about 4 days ago, I have had no bubbles produced.

Has it been too cold and therefore the yeast has died rather than being activated?

No, the yeast won't be harmed by it being a little on the cool side.
You need to check the specific gravity with a hydrometer. The presence or absence of bubbles isn't a reliable way of knowing what is happening.

Take a gravity reading and check. Some FM buckets aren't fully airtight and the Airlock remains stubbornly silent. A quick hydrometer reading will let you know. You might get a pleasant surprise.

Hi guys, thanks for the quick responses.

So I’ve sterilised the tube, sucked some out and measured the SG, which I think is 1.008. Being my first attempt, I have no idea what the original value was - I’ll know next time.

I’ll also get a better hydrometer - one that works in beer ranges and not generic.

The instructions suggest a value “around” 1.010.

I guess I now wait a couple of days and take another reading, then add the hops. There is no layer of froth on the top, it tasted quite acidic, and only a bit like beer.

any thoughts?

Attachments

• 2911860D-B3A3-4044-AEE5-F253676633FA.jpeg
    2911860D-B3A3-4044-AEE5-F253676633FA.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 856178F2-86DE-473A-90A0-1FF603A5AA6C.jpeg
    856178F2-86DE-473A-90A0-1FF603A5AA6C.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 50
Hi Matt

1010 is a pretty standard finishing gravity for beer. Some will be lower, others higher, but this is almost certainly done. Yeast has done its job and you have made beer 🍻

Re the hops, I've never done a kit so not sure on process but you are essentially dry hopping now. Chuck them in about 4 days before bottling.

Don't worry too much about the taste just now. I would give it another week in the bucket - including the dry hop days - for the yeast to finish up and clean up and then you will be good to bottle.

A couple of weeks to carbonate, another one or two of patience and I bet it will taste great. Good job.

Latest posts

Back