Nothing ventured. The challenge is on!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently roasted a chicken with a use by date of 2016, wasn't expecting success so paired it with a fresh chicken. My expectations proved correct, the old chicken tasted like the smell of my ground bait it had been in the freezer with. The Magpies enjoyed it though.

So brewday is here. So far I’ve done a biab mash with 2.5 kg of pale malt at 66 degrees c for 60 minutes and chucked that in my boiler with some minimal sparging. The can of John Bull smelt pretty much as I remember them, so that went in and I made it all up to just over 5 1/2 gallons. When it boils I’ll add 50g cascade hop pellets I had left over from a recent brew and boil the lot for an hour. So far it looks and smells reasonably acceptable!

Well I’ve just cracked the first bottle. The yeast worked perfectly well, and the recipe turned out a 1050 beer which fermented down to about 1005, so not far off a 6% Ale. The big surprise is that the beer is a pretty reasonable dark bitter with a slightly sweet aftertaste and a late kick of a black treacle kind of flavour. Not unlike an Old Peculier before they messed around with it. Get your mates to check their garages for old kits they may have forgotten about!

Attachments

• 7F2466D1-FD12-4800-AAF8-6BB5EC79998F.jpeg
    7F2466D1-FD12-4800-AAF8-6BB5EC79998F.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back