Novatwist - where am I going wrong?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott

Regular.
Reaction score
I know that Novatwist are highly regarded, and frequently used. I have two difficulties though.

Firstly, I can't seem to find the suitable bottles. I have collected a range of different bottles, but none of them work. I tried three types as a test (pictures below), and they all leak.

Secondly, when it came to opening the bottles, after realising that I would kn*cker my kitchen knives pretty quickly, I have had to resort to a junior hacksaw to get the bottles open. Hacking through the small 'nick' had no effect, so I then had to saw through all the way round.

I bought the Novatwist pictured on ebay from this site, which seemed genuine enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222484485458?var=521333091648
What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_5183.JPG
    IMG_5183.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5184.JPG
    IMG_5184.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5185.JPG
    IMG_5185.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5181.jpg
    IMG_5181.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5182.jpg
    IMG_5182.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 58
Firstly, I can't seem to find the suitable bottles. I have collected a range of different bottles, but none of them work. I tried three types as a test (pictures below), and they all leak.

Have a look at the video in the original Novatwist cap thread (see link below) where he shows the bottles he uses.

Secondly, when it came to opening the bottles, after realising that I would kn*cker my kitchen knives pretty quickly, I have had to resort to a junior hacksaw to get the bottles open. Hacking through the small 'nick' had no effect, so I then had to saw through all the way round.

You don't need to cut the sleeve off, the sleeve stays on the bottle when you twist the cap off to open the bottle you can see this in the first picture below. (he demonstrates this in the video)

This is the link to the original thread -
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...le-plastic-screw-caps-for-wine-bottles.56326/

The caps should have perforations where they meet the sleeve like the silver one below the blue one (picture taken from the eBay link you posted) doesn't look like they have them hence you having trouble separating the cap from the sleeve.

There is a link to the original caps in the other thread i posted.

1623157010993.png

1623156915742.png

Last edited:
I think it may be the bottles you are using that is causing the problem, mine are similar to the ones in picture one there is no ridge below the end of the thread whereas yours in pic 2 have a wide collar which may be stopping the screw caps tightening down fully and making a seal.

1623158273128.png
1623158120632.png

Thanks, Chippy. I had seen the video, which is what made me think about trying the Novatwist. I hadn't realised the band below could be a problem, and I think you're right about that. I have been using bottles from commercial (supermarket etc) wines, but so far they have all had the bands on.

I didn't take the sleeves off. The novatwist caps I ordered had perforations (rather poor picture I sent of the cap) but they were hard to get through, and even when broken, I had to saw all the way round the cap to get it off.

If you could recommend an alternative supplier I would be grateful and if I can get the right bottles, will have another try.

Thanks Chippy. The caps I got did have the perforations, but the plastic itself was so thick, I had to saw through the whole thing. I will keep looking for bottles without anything below the thread, then I can order some caps from Ballihoo.

Just read this thread and I had a very similar issue last week, so took one to a neighbour who promptly did it and made me feel dumb.

The technique it seems is to put the whole sleeve/cap on, then screw it onto the bottle (clockwise I think) until it firms up and feels tight. Then you can hold the bottle at the base and turn just the cap (anti-clockwise or whichever way you would normally open a wine bottle). The sleeve moves a bit but then locks in place and the cap comes off quite easily. Before this I had been banging the sleeve onto the bottle, which pushed the novatwist threads too far down the bottle neck so it wouldn't screw on.

Hope this helps. Sounds straight forward but it took me a while to grasp it too. Good luck!

Just read this thread and I had a very similar issue last week, so took one to a neighbour who promptly did it and made me feel dumb.

The technique it seems is to put the whole sleeve/cap on, then screw it onto the bottle (clockwise I think) until it firms up and feels tight. Then you can hold the bottle at the base and turn just the cap (anti-clockwise or whichever way you would normally open a wine bottle). The sleeve moves a bit but then locks in place and the cap comes off quite easily. Before this I had been banging the sleeve onto the bottle, which pushed the novatwist threads too far down the bottle neck so it wouldn't screw on.

Hope this helps. Sounds straight forward but it took me a while to grasp it too. Good luck!

Thanks for this. I might have been a bit heavy-handed putting the full sleeve onto the bottle. Also, hadn't thought of holding the bottle at the bottom and twisting at the top, makes more sense!

After various experimentations, I was interested to note that one set (cream) of caps were less successful than the other (gold). Mysterious.

I also found that when re-using the tops without the sleeves i.e. cutting them off, had a higher success rate. It's still somewhat hit and miss, so I'll continue making what use I can of current stock, and then start again with Chippy's recommendation from Ballihoo.

I also realised that I have a supply of bottles not from wine, but 'posh' water, with screw caps. If they hold water, they should hold wine!

Latest posts

Back