Oatmeal stout with cascade hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Couldn't decide what I was going to brew when in the home brew shop and ended up with roasted barley, chocolate malt and fuggles hops. With other ingredients I already have I've decided to either make a bitter. Wanting to use the choc malt and barley I was looking at the GH oatmeal stout....but don't have Challenger hops. Would I be mad to substitute Cascade instead? I also have fuggles and Goldings hops. I have MO and crystal malt. Any ideas welcome. 🍻🍻

My very amateur opinion would be that Fuggles would be a better match in a stout, although you'd have to use a few more of them than Challenger. But I'd be interested to hear what other posters think.

My very amateur opinion would be that Fuggles would be a better match in a stout, although you'd have to use a few more of them than Challenger. But I'd be interested to hear what other posters think.
I wonder about late hopping stouts at all. It's the malty roast flavours that make a good stout imo. My next stout experiments will use bullion and Pacific gem (in separate brews.) I like the idea of hops that give a berry or blackcurrant flavour to a stout. I agree that the earthiness of fuggles would go nicely with the oatmeal. Have you tried golden naked oats, by the way? Quite a distinct flavour. I understand it's a kind of crystal malt made from oats.

Hiya, I brewed a 'Tropical Stout' from a recipe another forum member found (can't find the link) which was very nice, it had quite a well balanced hoppy/roasty taste to it. If your interested i'll have another link but this was my recipe as I had to tweak it a little to what I had.

4.5kg otter
700g munich
450g crystal
350g carafa 2
230g roast barley
200g vienna
200g oats

Hops

28g chinook @60
28g centennial @10
28g cascade at flameout.

Hiya, I brewed a 'Tropical Stout' from a recipe another forum member found (can't find the link) which was very nice, it had quite a well balanced hoppy/roasty taste to it. If your interested i'll have another link but this was my recipe as I had to tweak it a little to what I had.

4.5kg otter
700g munich
450g crystal
350g carafa 2
230g roast barley
200g vienna
200g oats

Hops

28g chinook @60
28g centennial @10
28g cascade at flameout.
Sadly I don't have all the ingredients for that one. Will have a look around and play with some recipies. Cheers.

4.5kg otter
700g munich
450g crystal
350g carafa 2
230g roast barley
200g vienna
200g oats

Hops

28g chinook @60
28g centennial @10
28g cascade at flameout.

That looks really interesting!

Are those quantities for a 23 litre batch size?

Couldn't decide what I was going to brew when in the home brew shop and ended up with roasted barley, chocolate malt and fuggles hops. With other ingredients I already have I've decided to either make a bitter. Wanting to use the choc malt and barley I was looking at the GH oatmeal stout....but don't have Challenger hops. Would I be mad to substitute Cascade instead? I also have fuggles and Goldings hops. I have MO and crystal malt. Any ideas welcome. 🍻🍻

Hobgoblin has a bit of cascade added at the start of the boil. I brewed a clone a few months back and added 15g at 60 mins. That being said it also had a bunch of Fuggles in with it so maybe a combo of both would work?

Not the same as an oatmeal stout but the Hobgoblin gave really nice coffee flavours.

Hobgoblin has a bit of cascade added at the start of the boil. I brewed a clone a few months back and added 15g at 60 mins. That being said it also had a bunch of Fuggles in with it so maybe a combo of both would work?

Not the same as an oatmeal stout but the Hobgoblin gave really nice coffee flavours.
For some reason I've always skipped trying this drink. Having just googled it, it seems an interesting beer. I always presumed it had a higher alcohol content. May give this a go soonish 👍

For some reason I've always skipped trying this drink. Having just googled it, it seems an interesting beer. I always presumed it had a higher alcohol content. May give this a go soonish 👍
Would highly recommend, if you're looking for something higher in abv there is "King Goblin" which is an imperial version of the regular hobgoblin.

Back