Oh bloody hell. Is this okay?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssashton

Regular.
Reaction score
So I do my beers with a mesh bag that sits inside an electric tea urn. To ensure the bag does not sit directly on top of the heating element I use a foldable colander / steamer thing.

I got a new one and I've just noticed that after brewing and going through the washing machine the legs do not appear to be stainless steel. Maybe galvanised, what do you think? My old one is the same actually, but I never knew it was shiny to start with!

I'm also not sure when it got like that - either after brewing or after dishwasher.

I only use this during the mash up to about 70C. I take it out for the boil.

So.. is it okay to use it now the shiny coating has come off and if not, any suggestion for one that has all stainless parts?

Attachments

• 20230122_133644.jpg
    20230122_133644.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 3
It is 'white rust' which is when the galvanised surface has been compromised and rather than stable zinc carbonate based oxides, it has developed zinc hydroxide as a powdery white coating which degrades the zinc protection.
It is better to remove the oxide products from the surface - dry brushing and then it needs to passivate. This will happen if kept dry in the air, or you can speed it up with concentrated Starsan/Chemsan. Make up a 5 x concentration solution, ie 10ml to 1 litre and soak for about 30min and allow to air dry.

I suggest not using the dishwasher in future as I suspect that's what's behind the coating degrading - that bit I'm not certain on though.

That's perfect information, thank you!

Yes I had a feeling it was only bad after the dishwasher.

As I had no alternative I have it in a mash right now and I did indeed remove any loose stuff from the surface and star-san it.

That's perfect information, thank you!

Yes I had a feeling it was only bad after the dishwasher.

As I had no alternative I have it in a mash right now and I did indeed remove any loose stuff from the surface and star-san it.
The zinc hydroxide will dissolve in the mash solution - so I recommend after cleaning you properly passivate it otherwise it will happen again. If it continues over time through water exposure, the hydroxide will thicken and the mild steel underneath may be exposed and lead to rust.

I suspect the legs are dis cast zinc, acid attacks zinc and as Doc Anna mentioned wort is acidic. I doubt it would be enough to harm you but your yeast will like it, an element lacking in grain.

As above, I'd be tempted to remove and replace with stainless nuts and bolts. I think it's grade A2 bolts that's equivalent to 304 stainless. Sounds like they're fine though, as above if it's zinc then the yeast will probably make use of it.

Back