Old brewer, new to this game

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon1964

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all
Many years ago,actually 1985, i used to regularly used to home Brew, both beer and home made wines.
I used to use two 5 gallon kegs one a rotokeg with Hambleton bard large gas injection system.
I used to use malt extract kits with good success.
Still got the rotokeg in storage which I may try and reuse if I can get replacement parts.
I have just bought a Young's Micro Brewery Ultimate Starter Kit - American India Pale Ale.
Anyone used this one??
So dug out my rotokeg that has been in storage for years, ordered a new tap and top cap.
Given a clean with sodium percarbonate, as it smelled a bit fusty to say the least.
Just ordered a directors bitter kit after reading some you tube reveiws, and found my old brewing notebook.

My first Brew was Edme superbrew gold special export bitter primary fermentation start 16.07.1985!!
Wonder how much has changed in 35 years

I look forward to sharing and learning here.
Cheers Everyone
Jon

Hello Jon and welcome.
I too have just started again.
I'll mostly be doing wine from kits as i did previously, or from recipes off here and turbo ciders.
Good luck. 👍

Just finding my feet while i`m waiting for the delivery man :D
Got a lot of new tackle available since I last brewed !!
Found the Dark Farm website already, those mini kegs do look tempting !!
Cheers Jon

The Young's American IPA is an excellent kit, and definitely my favourite out of all I have done over the years. I just so happened to take delivery of one last week along with a Mangrove Jacks pink grapefruit IPA too, but that has gone on first as I have never tried it. As soon as it is done though the American IPA will be on.

Good luck and welcome back to this hobby!

The Young's American IPA is an excellent kit, and definitely my favourite out of all I have done over the years. I just so happened to take delivery of one last week along with a Mangrove Jacks pink grapefruit IPA too, but that has gone on first as I have never tried it. As soon as it is done though the American IPA will be on.

Good luck and welcome back to this hobby!
Thank you BrewMeHappy
Expect me popping up with plenty of questions.
Cheers Jon

Welcome '64. I, too have a number of Rotokegs and Kingkegs knocking about on a top shelf in the garage. I've kept them to use as fermenters or for lagering. I never really got on with the top tap and float system. The floats turned over more often than not.

Back