OT: satellite enthusiasts are there any here?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titch

Landlord.
Reaction score
a long time hobby of mine has been satellite

are there any more amongst us
thinking of getting a new sat card soon just wondered if there are any around :roll:

i have an old DM7000 a spiderbox and a humax hd with other bits and a few dishs

yeh mate, have a 1.1M motorised dish, a DM8000 and a DM800 :) Also on one of the testers for dreamboxuk :)

just registered going to dust it off tomorrow and maybe get a card as i need to brush up on sharing and caring

Cyclops said:
yeh mate, have a 1.1M motorised dish, a DM8000 and a DM800 :) Also on one of the testers for dreamboxuk :)

Now I am scratching my head, :wha: what channels can you watch on a DM8000 they look awfully expensive?

UP

unc back in the day loads

limited now but you can setup a group to share cards you have

the wonders of the WWW

I must have about 5000 channels, you can get football at 3pm, xxx, you name it, all of europe is at the hands of it :)

On a related subject. Looks like im moving home soon and the house im moving to has a Sky Dish. Lidl have Satellite receiver boxes for £30. If I buy a Box can I just connect it to the Sky dish to get freesat??. Or is it not that simple??.

It is that simple - freesat is on the same satellite that Sky uses. I would sugget you get an HD box though as it is worth the difference. In fact an old Sky box should work for most of the free channels anyway if you can get one.

yeah it will work
but as posted if you can get a hd freeview/freesat box all the better

but dish will be lined up for 28.2E

there is more out there ;)

I want to get RTL!! . . . Looking at getting a Humax Fresat recorder and a BFD just to watch next years F1 without paying any money to that morally bankrupt fukwit Murdoch!

Being serious now!!, my electrician showed me his satellite setup a while ago and I stared in awe at all the football channels that were available. His system had 5000 channels which covered just about everything watchable. He has a motorised dish and the main receiver is linked up to his internet for some sort of reason.

If I were interested in buying a system that covers everything, what would you guys recommend
as a good all rounder which includes everything you need for installation. Like everywhere, money is tight at the moment so I am not looking for the best of the best, but a setup that will last me a few years even if it is secondhand.

fixed dish pointing at either or all, 13e/19.2e/28.2e will get most things these days

motorised will cost a bit more fiddly to setup unless you get a decent meter or a mate

reciever depends what you want

a spiderbox will use the internet to connect to a server with access to everything barr SlyUk for 12mths
will get most football and movies with some xxx thrown in

better boxes if you like to fiddle are dreambox or Vu etc cost a bit more but do more

then as i have eluded too, you can "share" subscriptions via the internet with a circle of friends and share costs

Thanks for the info Titch.

Are there any decent forums out there for the satellite enthusiast in the UK.

I'm really interested in getting a half decent setup now. I have looked around the web and there seems to be plenty of Technomate and Spiderbox systems out there, but these names mean absolutely nothing to me.

Christmas gave me a couple of hundred pounds to play with, but if needed I could add a little more if the right system came along.

Anybody else out there have any experience with satellite systems.

Latest posts

Back