Overview of proposed new brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progress has been made, I now have almost all the bits and have started some actual buildiing at last. :D

I made the heat exchanger coil for the HX, I bent it around a 160mm drain pipe, used 10mm copper, got about 9m of pipe in the 6L thermos pot. Will be drilling holes in the pot when the Backer element arrives to take the 10mm to 3/8" BSP compression fitting that will go through the top of the thermos wall.

Made 2 x M8 tapped 15mm brass adaptors for the PT100 probes, Just a short length of 15mm brass rod drillied and tapped. Not perfect as its difficult to get exact centre without a 3 jaw chuck and lathe but will work fine. These will be soldered into tank connectors and used in the HLT and copper.

I bought a 1/2" BSP SS blanking plug to take the PT100 probe for the HX output and was going to drill and tap this but its hollow not solid and its only 2.4mm thick where I will be drilling and tapping it. The M8 pitch is 1.25 so not sure if I'll get enough threads to make a seal especially as it will only be a 50% thread in SS as its a pig to work with. Probably use a brass equivalent.

Tried my nibbler out on the SS mesh for the false bottom, cuts like a knife through butter but run out of time to measure the mash tun accurately and finish the cut. The beer line that I will slit and put around the edge is about 1mm thick so I will be looking for a clearance of about 1.5mm around the FB before fitting the beer line as a seal however it will be difficult to get it that accurate with a nibbler, shoudl be OK though.

Bad news is that I still have small leak in the cellar that will house the brewery, vast improvement on what it was and I think I can stop it however means grinding out a 20mm fillet in the block work joint where the leak is to take the Waterplug cement just after I've given it 3 coats of paint. :cry:

Picture next time when I actually complete something ;)

Back