Oxidisation Delay

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiener Blut

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I brewed a Golden Ale and transferred it to a pressure barrel (King Keg). I usually purge it with CO2 straight away but the last couple of batches I brewed and fermented away from home (long story) and that time I forgot to bring the necessities. Anyway the beer sat in the keg with loads of air and to make matter worse it splashed around on the drive home.

At home I immediately purged the headspace but was quite worried about oxidisation at that point. It actually turned out great, dropped bright in a few days and was the best brew to date. Almost exactly one month later, however, it seemed to go stale over night. Lost the hop aroma and generally tasted bland and dead.

Is it feasible that despite the initial heavy oxygen exposure the effect only set in with such a long delay? I've never experienced anything like it in the past, whether in bottles, pressure barrels or mini kegs. The latter two don't usually last that long though.

A couple of months ago I brewed a Golden Ale and transferred it to a pressure barrel (King Keg). I usually purge it with CO2 straight away but the last couple of batches I brewed and fermented away from home (long story) and that time I forgot to bring the necessities. Anyway the beer sat in the keg with loads of air and to make matter worse it splashed around on the drive home.

At home I immediately purged the headspace but was quite worried about oxidisation at that point. It actually turned out great, dropped bright in a few days and was the best brew to date. Almost exactly one month later, however, it seemed to go stale over night. Lost the hop aroma and generally tasted bland and dead.

Is it feasible that despite the initial heavy oxygen exposure the effect only set in with such a long delay? I've never experienced anything like it in the past, whether in bottles, pressure barrels or mini kegs. The latter two don't usually last that long though.
Can't really help with your question, but just of note, I've always used King Kegs when I do an ale and to date (in excess of 30+ brews) I've never purged them with co2.
I just leave them to condition on their own and this generally creates enough gas for me to draw around 4 pints before the need to add any gas.
Only issues I've ever had with the King Kegs is the usual leak at the tap on occasions.

Back