Oxygen for fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindormonster

Reaction score
Has anyone got any tips for this - I make some prety high ABV beers and want to start looking at giving a dose of oxygen a day into fermentation

I am wondering if a hand held can of oxygen purchased from Ebay and a carbonation stone attached via a length of tubing is all ill need rather than forking out 40 or so quid on a whole industrial canister and getting a regulator for it

Anyone tried this way of working or will it be too much pressure from a hand held oxygen can?

Last edited:
You can use the disposable welding oxygen canisters (Oxyturbo Oxygen Gas Cylinder), but you do need a regulator for them (Oxygen Regulator for Oxyturbo Kit 300), and ideally you also want a flow meter (Oxygen Air Flow Meter 0-1.5LPM 1.5L Flowmeter with Control Valve for Oxygen Air | eBay) as you'll empty the canister very quickly without it.

I use oxygen for almost every brew I make, and I get about 20 brews per canister of oxygen. If you have room for a bigger bottle then it works out a lot cheaper in the long run.

I have no experience with carbonation stones or oxygen canisters (I oxygenate my wort using an aeration paddle connected up to a drill), however, provided you are adding enough oxygen before fermentation there should be no need to add extra during it.

I don’t think you want to dose with oxygen over time. I think the yeast only ‘consumes’ oxygen in the early growth stages of fermentation so if you continue to dose with oxygen beyond that then you’re probably risking oxidation and not doing anything useful and probably detrimental.

To oxidise your wort you need to expose as much of it to the air. This can be done by stirring, splashing it from the boiler to the fermenter or running it down the side of the fermenter. Remember although water has a lot of dissolved O2 it will boil off.

Back