Palmers Brewery Bridport

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisstuarthall

TheGquaffer
Reaction score
Went on a brewery tour at this site on Wednesday.

Well worth the entrance fee, fascinating tour both old and new equipment to gawp at (still a private company so they keep everything).

Given various discussions on yeasts here they brew a beer out start to finish in about five days. They showed us a yeast activity / temperature graph / time graph, plateaus for three days then they taper the temperature. They also acclimatise a yeast to each beer type, save and pitch each time for the same beer recipe.......seems to be common practice at craft breweries.

Not really helpful I know but you get a nice tankard and a few free tastes.

And I don't work for them. :cheers:

Went on a brewery tour at this site on Wednesday.

Well worth the entrance fee, fascinating tour both old and new equipment to gawp at (still a private company so they keep everything).

Given various discussions on yeasts here they brew a beer out start to finish in about five days. They showed us a yeast activity / temperature graph / time graph, plateaus for three days then they taper the temperature. They also acclimatise a yeast to each beer type, save and pitch each time for the same beer recipe.......seems to be common practice at craft breweries.

Not really helpful I know but you get a nice tankard and a few free tastes.

And I don't work for them. :cheers:
Very helpful in my view.

The craft brewery nearest where I live is next door to the church from which I have picked up my little Brownies and latterly Brownie helpers (or "leaders", LOL) for years.

The tour is brilliant - been on it twice - not since brewing my own again, though.

The Bank Top brews are said to have names that reflect the difficulties they had with the widow of the late Fred Dibnah.

http://www.visitmanchester.com/what-to-do/countrysideattraction/MAN-58371_banktopbrewery

I know no more than that.

http://www.banktopbrewery.com/beers/beers.html

Thanks Slid

One thing which stood out on my visit was how open all the process was...fermentation was open in the vats.....yeast was in big stainless tubs.....but they did clean and sterilise everything to a regime including deep caustic scrubbing on a regular basis.....also everything was done quickly....mashing...boiling 45 mins to 90 mins depending on the final gravity required....cooling....and fermentation, three to five days...

Did the tour the Wednesday before. 2 hours well spent.
Also found a small brewery in Lyme Regis in the Old Mill.

They (Palmers) were giving out their own brand lemonade which SWMBO took a liking to. Pity that none of their pubs seem stock it as it is too expensive.

Last edited:
The small brewery in Lyme Regis uses Danstar Nottingham, I have chatted to him at a local fair.....he said the reason they use it is:

1. Consistent fermentation results by time and finish...five days to a standard sg of 1007.
2. Settles out well in the bottle...they don't filter or pasteurise.

Dads_Ale I think you were on the same tour as me....

Latest posts

Back