Partial boil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swift Pint

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been doing all grain full boil brewing for the last few years, so its been a long time since I've done a partial boil.
This weekend I've got a friend coming over for a brew session, he's done kits before but is looking to step up, so we are going to be doing an extract + steeping grains brew, and will be doing a partial boil. This will be quicker & easier than a full boil and avoids the need for a chiller as we can put the boil pot in a sink of cold water to chill it.

Does it matter how concentrated I go? I know this will have an impact on hop utilization, is there anything else to watch out for?

Should I be diluting the wort pre chill, or post chill?

Should I be pre-boiling that water that is used to dilute? or will it be "safe" enough from the tap? (I'll be adding some camden to knock out the chlorines)

Tap water is ok as is , 45 mins boil is often enough . just add 20% more hops . Around 10 litres of wort pre boil is often used . 30 min steep at 66c then add to boil pot with can or dme plus hops .Add water pre chill to quicken cooling ( which is only a good thing )

Back