Brewfather - partial mash, target pre-boil gravity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterpiper

Reaction score
When doing a partial mash, where extracts (or sugars) are are added later (during boil), I'd like to know the target pre-boil gravity from just the mash grains.
In an all grain mash, you can monitor the mash brix, knowing the pre boil gravity, as shown in Brewfather. The mash brix must reach higher than pre-boil, to allow for lower gravity sparge water.

Is there a setting in Brewfather for showing the target pre-boil gravity from the partial mash ingriedients alone, without any extracts/sugars included?
Its a pain having to temporarily delete extracts & sugars, which is what im doing at the moment, to get the figure.

A brewdog recipe I'm looking at, Dog H, gives a target OG that is post boil, but without the dextrose (guess they must add dextrose later). So doesn't match the OG Brewfather shows.
Some workaround would help in these cases as well.

In edit fermentable, there's a flag 'Exclude from total', but it only seems to change the percentage figures. Setting the field 'Use' to 'boil', rather than 'mash', doesn't help either.

Just discovered you can bring up an extra line for 'Total gravity'
by setting any fermentables, 'Use' to 'Primary'.

Screenshot_20231005_232929_Brewfather.png

Putting the Dextrose 'Use' back to 'Default' gives this:
Screenshot_20231005_234104_Brewfather.png

So Brewfather actually defaults to not including sugars (or extracts) in the pre-boil gravity figure.

But will, if you set the Dextrose 'Use' to 'mash'.
Screenshot_20231006_001619_Brewfather.png

So it works as I'd wanted all along! But wasn't getting that, I think because I'd gone wrong when manually entering details for a new fermentable.

Each type of (pre-defined) fermentable has a 'Type' field, that controls which totals Brewfather includes it in, when it's 'Use' is 'Default'

The new extract, I'd entered the details for manually, accidentally had 'Type' set to 'grain' (and so, was being included in pre-boil gravity).

So lesson - be careful when defining a new fermentable. Perhaps finding a similar one, and editing it, is a safer way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231005_232929_Brewfather.png
    Screenshot_20231005_232929_Brewfather.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back