party in a bottle!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babe10

Reaction score
Whooah!! theres a party going on in my kitchen!!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: Started my wurzels yesterday again after the disaster the day before with the hydrothingy. I have used red grape juice and orange it went a bit pinky brown at first but gone a cloudy pale pink now. Omg those wee beasties are having a ball in there. Fascinating to watch, kept getting up from telly to have a look and as moley suggested if you put your ear to it its singing as well!! now how long do I leave it after fermentation stops to get a medium sweet wine?

If you want a medium sweet you'll have two options:

1) stop fermentation at about 1005 (I think, others may correct me if that's out) using stabilising powder.
2) wait till it finishes fermenting, clears and rack it off the sediment. Then back-sweeten with sugar or fruit juice.

Option 1 will give you a lower ABV, as it won't have 'finished' fermenting all the sugar out. Option 2, I think, you'll need to wait till it's cleared perfectly otherwise you'll start secondary fermentation and that sugar will get used up. Also, if you bottle it during secondary, you'll end up with corks popping off! For simplicity's sake, I'd go for 1.

cheers no 1 it is then. I need to get me another hydrometer again with a trial jar this time

Back