Partygate a new low.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BBC News - 16:19
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has said he will quit if given a fine by Durham police for breaking Covid lockdown rules.

Speaking to reporters, the Labour leader insisted that he was "absolutely clear that no rules were broken".
He said his accusers were "just trying to feed cynicism" about politicians.
Sir Keir has been under pressure after police announced they would be investigating an event at which he drank beer at an MP's office in 2021.
But Conservatives have accused Sir Keir of "rank double standards" as the opposition leader had previously called for Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Chancellor Rishi Sunak to resign over attending Downing Street lockdown events.
Durham police launched their inquiry on Friday after the local elections, having previously said they did not believe an offence had been committed.
The event under investigation took place at the constituency office of City of Durham Labour MP Mary Foy, where Sir Keir drank beer and ate curry, while lockdown restrictions were in place.
A Labour Party spokesperson said: "Keir was working. A takeaway was made available in the kitchen, and he ate between work demands. No rules were broken."
And Ms Foy dismissed allegations that some people who had been in her office were drunk as "untrue", adding: "I do not believe either I or my office staff broke any [Covid] rules."
Asked on Sky News whether Sir Keir should resign, Conservative MP and Universities Minister Michelle Donelan said: "This is a decision for him. He's going to have to search his soul after making this a top priority over the last few months at the expense of key issues like the rising cost of living.
"My takeaway is that it does smack of sheer hypocrisy," she added.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61383091

Hmm, not os sure abut this. You'd have thought that Starmer wouldn't give an undertaking like this unless he was confident no fines or charges wuld happen.

An attempt to seize the moral high ground? Sure. But you could also argue it shows just how easilly the Daily Mail can unseat Labour leaders.

Hmm, not os sure abut this. You'd have thought that Starmer wouldn't give an undertaking like this unless he was confident no fines or charges wuld happen.

An attempt to seize the moral high ground? Sure. But you could also argue it shows just how easilly the Daily Mail can unseat Labour leaders.
The Daily Mail really is the enemy of the people.

The Daily Mail really is the enemy of the people.

Really ? This is a best selling paper in the Uk ,wins numerous independently awarded journalism awards ,often exposing MP,s of party's on both sides of the political divide and you call it the enemy of the people ,which also incidentally raised over £11,000,000 for Ukraine ,but there ,some people still think the earth is flat :)

Like most newspapers, it serves the interests of its non-dom billionaire owners.

Really ? This is a best selling paper in the Uk ,wins numerous independently awarded journalism awards ,often exposing MP,s of party's on both sides of the political divide and you call it the enemy of the people ,which also incidentally raised over £11,000,000 for Ukraine ,but there ,some people still think the earth is flat :)
It also pretty good when you are out of toilet roll.
Very absorbant

The paper has scored an own goal after Starmer's statement. This has pushed Johnson into a corner he didn't want to be in.

And your point is?
Anybody with sufficient resources can buy a veneer of credibility.
This is the rag that puts itself above our, the people of this country's, judiciary when they make a judgement that doesn't suit them. I was quoting their front page. Try not to be so shallow.
And the Earth is flat, it's just that space curves around an extremely dense object.
Not pointing any fingers. 😍

Last edited:

The Daily Mail has won a number of awards, including receiving the National Newspaper of the Year award from The Press Awards eight times since 1995, winning again in 2019.[15] The Society of Editors selected it as the 'Daily Newspaper of the Year' for 2020.[16] It has also been noted for its unreliability and widely criticised for its printing of sensationalist and inaccurate scare stories of science and medical research,[17][18][19][20] and for instances of plagiarism and copyright infringement.[21][22][23][24] In February 2017, editors on the English Wikipedia banned the use of the Daily Mail as a source.[25][26]

Any other newspaper been banned by wikipedia as a source?

I love Daily Wail’s backpedaling headline today!

They got what they wanted (Mr Starmer’s resignation if he was found guilty of breaching the law) so what is today’s headline?

“STARMER ACCUSED OF PILING
PRESSURE ON POLICE”

This is the same Police Force that found Dominic Cummings innocent, so they probably know “pressure” when they see it!
athumb..

The Daily Wail has won awards? I wonder who awarded them? The mind boggles!
:hat:

Cakegate was at the start of a cabinet meeting apparently lasting 9 minutes, cake never got eat. at a work meeting
durhamgate beer, curry and quiz was a lunch at work
both against the rules if looked at as anonymous events
anonymous as in not a your or my team event.
Starmer saying he will resign is all he can say considering that he’s said Bojo must resign.

before this kicked off the police said they would not retrospectively investigate any breaking of covid rules, then following pressure they investigated the Tories, they would not have investigated you or I, now people are saying they shouldn’t investigate Labour politicians !
this is not a team sport. One investigate all investigated as in “Without fear or favour”

The Media, not just the DM,

Attachments

• A0EB124B-1308-4FE6-BECF-0E587B02F99C.jpeg
    A0EB124B-1308-4FE6-BECF-0E587B02F99C.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 5
Cakegate was at the start of a cabinet meeting apparently lasting 9 minutes, cake never got eat. at a work meeting
durhamgate beer, curry and quiz was a lunch at work
both against the rules if looked at as anonymous events
anonymous as in not a your or my team event.
Starmer saying he will resign is all he can say considering that he’s said Bojo must resign.

before this kicked off the police said they would not retrospectively investigate any breaking of covid rules, then following pressure they investigated the Tories, they would not have investigated you or I, now people are saying they shouldn’t investigate Labour politicians !
this is not a team sport. One investigate all investigated as in “Without fear or favour”

Carrie and her friend the decorator were both there, therefore not a work event.
The Met Police got involved due to Sue Gray report.

The main point behind the whole thing is that Johnson stood up and repeatedly lied to the House.
He has already been sacked for lying as a Cabinet member, unfortunately standards within this Conservative government have reached new depths.

Carrie and her friend the decorator were both there, therefore not a work event.
The Met Police got involved due to Sue Gray report.

The main point behind the whole thing is that Johnson stood up and repeatedly lied to the House.
He has already been sacked for lying as a Cabinet member, unfortunately standards within this Conservative government have reached new depths.
My point still stands
its the people who are guilty not the rosette they wear, Starmer and those involvEd should be investigated, if the police find them not guilty then in the eyes of the law they’re not guilty.
m view on the whole party gate issue is it’s a waste of taxpayers money and resource. No one else is being investigated retrospectively
and that drinking in the workplace is wrong, most of us would face instant dismissal for it. Infact even on building sites in the 80s I’ve known people sent home for going to the pub
and with a possible war on the horizon, petrol crisis and home heating crisis there are way more pressing issues.

My point still stands
its the people who are guilty not the rosette they wear, Starmer and those involvEd should be investigated, if the police find them not guilty then in the eyes of the law they’re not guilty.
m view on the whole party gate issue is it’s a waste of taxpayers money and resource. No one else is being investigated retrospectively
and that drinking in the workplace is wrong, most of us would face instant dismissal for it. Infact even on building sites in the 80s I’ve known people sent home for going to the pub
and with a possible war on the horizon, petrol crisis and home heating crisis there are way more pressing issues.
Let me just refer you to my post,

Latest posts

Back