PB carbonation help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is cold crashing and what does it do
Cold crashing or cold conditioning is most often done at the end of fermentation.

It involves chilling down your beer to very low temperatures in order to speed up the process of clearing it.

At lower temperatures the suspended yeast and other stuff fall to the bottom more quickly.

The temperature should be around 0C and the duration might be a couple of days but you can go lower and you can wait longer.

You don’t have to cold crash at all, it just takes longer for your beer to clear if you don’t.

Plan B

Attachments

• 097B878E-0DA0-4E7E-939D-F64CD4BEEE69.jpeg
    097B878E-0DA0-4E7E-939D-F64CD4BEEE69.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 41
Not disagreeing with Mr H but my fridge can just about manage 4C. I reduce the temperature setting and 3 days later transfer. Works OK for me.
You’re right BB, I was absent mindedly thinking about a freezer/keezer. With a fridge +4 or +5 is about as low as you can get.

Good catch! 😉

On 18* just slowly going down :confused.:
Do be aware that if cold crashing in an open fermenter ( with airlock ) as the beer cools you will get a lowering of pressure in that vessel and airwill go in through the airlock. You need to mitigate against that otherwise your beer will be clear and on the fast track to ruin.

Thanks for the heads up 👍 managed to get the froth down but still flat

Latest posts

Back