pear wine slime?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churts

Reaction score
Hello to all.
I have just come across something that Ive not seen before and was wondering if any one knows what it is?...
Im in the process of making a pear wine and having added 6kgs of pears, 2.5 kilos of sugar to 3 gallons of water i added yeast following day and its now week number 3 and its turned the consistency of wallpaper paste and slime....
Have i done something terribly wrong or is this normal???
Ive been making wines for a couple of years out of all kinds of fruit and have had really good success but this is the first time ive tried pears and ive never had one react like this.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Does the brew, taste of vinigar, If so the slime is most likely "Mother of vinegar", and if it is its something pretty prized to the likes of sarsons.

Your wine will be well Fecked if it is, but it'll be ok on some chips. ;)

UP

unclepumble said:
Your wine will be well Fecked if it is, but it'll be ok on some chips.

I love the all is not lost attitude :lol:

I didn't have the guts to taste it, looks like a bucket of egg white. lol.
any idea what may have caused it to do that?

churts said:
I didn't have the guts to taste it, looks like a bucket of egg white. lol.
any idea what may have caused it to do that?

Its just Infected, why who knows, most likely cause, insufficent cleaning, but could also have been on the pears.
If its been fermented in plastic I would get rid of it as It will probably come back on the next ferment, If in glass, make sure you use a very strong sterilising mixture to clean it, & I would chuck the bung and airlock.

If it is "Mother of Vinegar" its quite a thing, crop a bit, get some red grape must going in it, and start making some balsamic, :D

UP

oh well... wont be drinking that batch then.... used the same cleaning/sterilizing process as usual so i guess it was the cheapo pears i got from the market.. D'OH! :roll:
anyway, thanks for your help. I'm gonna go and throw it all on a portion of chips as advised!!!! hahaha :thumb:

Did you boil the pears, and did you add plenty of pectolase/pectin enzyme? I know another person's plum wine (lots of pectin) set almost like jelly, but was recovered by using a good double dose of pectolase.

Don't give up too soon ;)

Back