PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's impressive that you won silver 🥈👏👍 , more impressive still that you still have beers left that you brewed in October! 😁

I chucked away some vanilla and choc stout that I brewed in 2019 yesterday. 🤣

Probably got about 10 bitters left, I would normally leave it 6 weeks or so post brew before trying it and then with doing dry Jan I haven't had time to drink them and am 'overstocked'.

I chucked away some vanilla and choc stout that I brewed in 2019 yesterday. 🤣

Probably got about 10 bitters left, I would normally leave it 6 weeks or so post brew before trying it and then with doing dry Jan I haven't had time to drink them and am 'overstocked'.
Best get stuck into "Foamy February" to clear out the backlog 😂

To be fair when I used to bottle I generally used to have quite range of beers in stock, whereas nowadays with kegs the most I can have on at any one time is 3 (because apparently I have enough fridges and don't need any more!)

Oh and speaking of chucking out old beers, do you remember that Brett Aged Porter I made a few years ago? I found the remainder of those the other day so I'm gradually emptying them, cleaning them and sanitising them for future use.

(yes of course I tried one, who wouldn't, and no the aging had not improved it 👎👎👎🤣)

Brew on today, first in what feels like a long time but it's only been 3 weeks...

A comet lager! I got this in one of those 'buy a mystery pack of hops for 3 quid deal' on malt miller and hadn't been sure on what to do with it but internet consensus was that it's decent in a lager. So a pretty simple brew...

5kg Pilsner
150g light crystal (30 ebc)

mashed for a couple of hours while i went out and bought some garden stuff.

Boiled for an hour

10g Magnum @60
25g Comet @15
25g Comet @5

Cooled to about 16c then put in the brew fridge set at 14c and pitched 2x CML Hell.

See you in 3 weeks or so.

OG 1046

Annoyingly I don't seem to have jotted down my Biere de Guarde recipe anywhere, I have a feeling OG was 1062, FG 1010 making it 6.8%. Tastes pretty good out of the FV. One thing i did notice was a couple of very small patched of what could have been mould on the top of the beer, as I say it tasted alright and I was careful not to take that up into a bottle so we'll see how it goes.

Annoyingly I don't seem to have jotted down my Biere de Guarde recipe anywhere, I have a feeling OG was 1062, FG 1010 making it 6.8%. Tastes pretty good out of the FV. One thing i did notice was a couple of very small patched of what could have been mould on the top of the beer, as I say it tasted alright and I was careful not to take that up into a bottle so we'll see how it goes.
Good luck! Sounds tasty. Hope the possible mould doesn't get in the bottles.

Brew on today, first in what feels like a long time but it's only been 3 weeks...

A comet lager! I got this in one of those 'buy a mystery pack of hops for 3 quid deal' on malt miller and hadn't been sure on what to do with it but internet consensus was that it's decent in a lager. So a pretty simple brew...

5kg Pilsner

Boiled for an hour

10g Magnum @60
25g Comet @15
25g Comet @5

Cooled to about 16c then put in the brew fridge set at 14c and pitched 2x CML Hell.

OG 1046

Hells bells! I hadn't realised that this was so long ago! I'll have to get round to bottling that next week...Plenty of time to up the temp and then give it a cold crash.

Anyway that wasn't what I came here to say..

Yesterday I brewed an American Pale Ale

Another fairly simple recipe

4.5kg of pale and 250g light crystal.

Mashed at 62 for a few hours while I went out with the kids.

Hops
15g Magnum @30
5g Citra & 20g Mosaic @10
20g Citra @30g Mosaic Flameout 30 mins @80c

The weather turned and I had to flee indoors just after the boil so I went for a no chill overnight, emptied into the fermenter still hot and left till 9am this morning, pitched at 24c. As an aside I brew outside and the weather this year has made an impact on my brewing, i've definitely brewed less this winter, I honestly cannot remember the last day we had without rain.

Pitched CML 5, had a bit of a shock when the hydrometer cooled, reading 1057, far higher than I wanted really...I haven't had time to do anything today and it's just starting to bubble. What are peoples thoughts on adding some water to dilute down, is it too late? I usually dilute before I pitch if I feel the need.

5kg Pilsner

Boiled for an hour

10g Magnum @60
25g Comet @15
25g Comet @5

OG 1046

Bottled this one last night, finished at 1011 making it 4.5%, looks decent tasted alright, we'll see how it goes.

Hells bells! I hadn't realised that this was so long ago! I'll have to get round to bottling that next week...Plenty of time to up the temp and then give it a cold crash.

Anyway that wasn't what I came here to say..

Yesterday I brewed an American Pale Ale

Another fairly simple recipe

4.5kg of pale and 250g light crystal.

Mashed at 62 for a few hours while I went out with the kids.

Hops
15g Magnum @30
5g Citra & 20g Mosaic @10
20g Citra @30g Mosaic Flameout 30 mins @80c

The weather turned and I had to flee indoors just after the boil so I went for a no chill overnight, emptied into the fermenter still hot and left till 9am this morning, pitched at 24c. As an aside I brew outside and the weather this year has made an impact on my brewing, i've definitely brewed less this winter, I honestly cannot remember the last day we had without rain.

Pitched CML 5, had a bit of a shock when the hydrometer cooled, reading 1057, far higher than I wanted really...I haven't had time to do anything today and it's just starting to bubble. What are peoples thoughts on adding some water to dilute down, is it too late? I usually dilute before I pitch if I feel the need.

Bottled this one, smells beautiful, looks a bit hazy, tastes good and appropriately bitter. Finished at 1010 so what I did is add 50 mls of cooled boiled water to each bottle before bottling, bit of a faff but it does make the abv slightly more manageable at 5.4%.

200g White sugar

Don't fear the white stuff :D.

I started off thinking it was a cheat until I found an original recipe (from the head brewer at the time) for Deuchars IPA. He said they used it to control the colour. It should work really well in a Saison (must make another one, I always like it).

Finished nights again this morning had a little sleep and woke to an empty house, what to do? NZ pale! This one has has the old Taiheke and Motueka hops I got from the Worcester Hop Shop.

3.5 kg Pale
800 Pilsner
200g Wheat

Mashed for an hour at 62c. Raised temp to 75c for 15 mins then mashed out, sparged with 4l of water. Squeezed hell out of bag and brought to boil.

Boiled for 30 mins

Taiheke 30g @30
Taiheke 30g @15
Motueka 30g @15 (arrgh meant to throw this in at 5 but tiredness got me confused!)
Motueka 30g @flameout

Left it for 10 mins to cool a bit then into FV and into brewfridge to finish cooling.

Yeast not pitch yet but will be MJ Hophead.

Finished up at 1063 so added 3.4 litres of boiled water to bring it down to 1052 in 20l. Aroma was good, not quite pine but fir tree like? Barky? Not sure if that sounds nice or not..... 🤣

In other news, I brewed a saison last week and forgot to write it up...

This was 4kg Pale
300g Pilsner
200g light crystal
200g White sugar

30g Aurora @30
30g Motueka @5

Pitched Lalbrew farmhouse saison I think it was.... OG 1056 for 20l so I tipped in 2l of water to take it to 1052 in 22l.
Like the sounds of this one 👌🏼

Back