Pints of froth

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobin

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well I finally have my Corny Keg which I have filled with Coopers lager and carbonated.

I have reduced the pressure to 6psi for serving - Only problem is that I just get pints of froth

What have I done wrong and whats the cure?

what did you force carb to ??
i do mine to bout 60 psi then shake it then drops right down then you only need a couple of psi to dispense

I gassed it to 30psi, shook like crazy until it droped to 20psi, gassed back to 30psi shook like crazy until it dropped to 20psi and carried on until it stabalised at 20psi - Left it for 24 hours and then dropped the pressure down to 6psi

OK I will try that next time.

In the mean time I need to get the froth down on this one

Hi Wez,

Thanks for that - Looks like I have the pressure too high - I will let it down and see what happens

Just released all the pressure - Will leave overnight and see what happens

What are you using to dispense it? What size beer line and what tap? How long is your beer line?

From my (limited) experience, 3/16" is a good idea to reduce frothing. It also means you've got less beer sitting in tubing. If you haven't got one, get a Dalex tap. The "picnic" tap can produce quite a lot of froth. Finally, try to have 5ft or more of beer line, as the resistance of the pipe reduces froth.

Once you've got some of the CO2 out, as Wez described, try to get your Corny as cold as possible for dispensing.

Hi BigStoo,

yes it is a picnic tap.

I will look into a Dalex tap

Many thanks

The cheapest I have found them is from Norm. There's a link to his email address somewhere on the forum. Off the top of my head it's normansplace @ hotmail . com (but please check)

He charged me £12 + p&p. You'll also have to get a length of beer line (preferably 5/16") and a black disconnect (although I suppose you could use the one on the picnic tap). There's also a few dalex taps on ebay.

Hi all,

Thanks for the info.

What is the best way to attach the tap to the corny?

Not sure what you mean, do you mean to physically attach it (i.e. make it a permanent fixture?)

brobin said:
Hi all,

Thanks for the info.

What is the best way to attach the tap to the corny?

I assume by "attach" you mean that you want to mount the tap somewhere?
The two most popular options are either mounting the tap nearby - I've got mine mounted on an old piece of wood - or else mount the tap on the corny itself. That basically involves drilling a hole in the handle of the corny and mounting it there.

evanvine said:
Hi Brobin
Not having a corney I can't really comment on their specific problems, but I do find that beer serves best from my pressure keg at about 2psi.
Maybe this is too low if a beer line is used.

2psi is a good place to start (although with a corny it's good to have a little more in to ensure a good lid seal). The length and bore of the beer line used to dispense would raise that accordingly. Someone posted a rough approximation of how much you need to raise the pressure by for the different pipe diameters. I can't remember off the top of my head what they were though. I tend to use trial and error.

Back