Plaato to be discontinued

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was really hoping to get a couple of these at some stage. I'm going to keep a close eye out if anyone can build a work around for accessing the data and see if I can pick up a couple in the fire sale. Apparently they won't be making the API open source.
1000010502.png

Last edited:
Disappointing for those who have invested , I don't imagine they were cheap
Always a problem for internet of things devices. You buy something, but at soon as the vendor turns their servers off, your device is worthless.

I don't understand why they won't make their APIs public

Always a problem for internet of things devices. You buy something, but at soon as the vendor turns their servers off, your device is worthless.

I don't understand why they won't make their APIs public

Maybe trying to sell their IP?

From what I've read they say the API is so intertwined with other products that they can't. Sounds a bit 🐂💩 to me after selling people such expensive equipment.

From what I've read they say the API is so intertwined with other products that they can't. Sounds a bit 🐂💩 to me after selling people such expensive equipment.
What other products do they make ?

I'm assuming there must be other uses for it that they can make money from. Don't get me wrong... I'm not defending the decision. If I knew the API would go public then I would be buying a couple of these heavily discounted devices today.

Really poor on their front. Don't mind if they're wanting to focus on "Pro" product line but not at the cost of your customer base which contributed so much to their initial growth. Should make the software open source. Its something as a society we seem to have become accepting off, true believer that if you buy something you own it. The IOT is killing that philosophy and putting consumers at real risk. Similar examples have existed with printers (where firmware updates have killed 3rd party ink), Internet cameras (features marketed as included later hide behind a pay wall)...poor form Plato

The business model of selling something once and then providing back end
server and app support for free doesn't work. You would have to make the thing you’re selling cost way over its actual manufacturing cost to cover the ongoing support. A cheaper initial price coupled with an ongoing subscription seems a better way of doing it. Maybe they could bring in subscriptions for people who want to retain the service, could bundle it up with one or two of the third party apps that integrate with Plaato devices, like Brewfather and Taplist.

Latest posts

Back