Plastic in the mash tun?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopWroester

Reaction score
Morning all,

Looking at better drainage options for my mash tun.

Currently got a small all copper pipe for use as filter/drain. I do have more copper pipping but no copper elbow or T joints, however I have plenty of the plastic plumbing ones - could these be used in the mash? Anyone used them or know of any safety problems with chemicals leaking out of the plastic at high temps?

Thanks,
Mark

Morning all,

Looking at better drainage options for my mash tun.

Currently got a small all copper pipe for use as filter/drain. I do have more copper pipping but no copper elbow or T joints, however I have plenty of the plastic plumbing ones - could these be used in the mash? Anyone used them or know of any safety problems with chemicals leaking out of the plastic at high temps?

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark as you say if its the plastic pipe used for plumbing i cant see it having any problems with it leaking chemicals, i would have thought more like will it hold up to them sort of temps?

Hi Steve.

Thats what i was thinking, hot water would pass through them in a home heating system.

Try a piece in some boiling water see what effect it has, at the end of the day in normal situations hot water is running through it anyway how hot is another question :thumb:

If its those house fitting, PVC, should be fine. Most houses use them for internal plumbing and includes drinking water.

Most push fittings are safe for potable water but probably not at boiling temperatures, may be fine for mash tun or sparge but I would reckon greater than 80°C would be a challenge

Most push fittings are safe for potable water but probably not at boiling temperatures, may be fine for mash tun or sparge but I would reckon greater than 80°C would be a challenge

That's probably right.

I`m a newbie at HB but an oldie at plumbing as it is my job.The only problem i can see is cleaning the fittings.As the push fit elbows have various components to allow for fitting and removing (flexible joint and rubber ring for instance) they can attract dirt and debris between the elements of the fitting making it harder to cleanse.Just thought i should point that out in case it wasn't thought of.

In central heating the push fits are workable at around 82 degrees.They can work at 105 but only for a short time so not advised.But that is for holding and carrying water without leakage.

But it's mashing so bacteria isn't a problem since you'll be boiling. Just got to make sure you clean well or don't glue them, just hand press them on. After mashing you can take them apart and clean them.

safety problems with chemicals leaking out of the plastic at high temps?
Mark

I'd probably worry more about plastic coolbox mash tuns than pvc plumbing paraphernalia. At least the latter is designed to carry water for human consumption. My FVs & pvc "casks" are food grade. But I use a coolbox as a mash tun - what plasticisers might leach out of that I wonder? :-?
Apologies if this has been covered on here before!

Latest posts

Back