Please help me ...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldskunkeye

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers..well I'm a newbie..I started my beer 10 days ago tested on hydrometer..but now I'm testing again and my hydrometer has sunk lower..
I thought it should rise..many thanx

It started on the S
And finished on the F.
After 10 days

Attachments

• 20230226_131635.jpg
    20230226_131635.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
That's correct finished at 1.006, it will sink as sugars are consumed by the yeast. You need to use a calculator to get ABV.

Your initial starting gravity, you are measuring the change in sugar content of the beer to calculate your alcohol percentage.

So what does the 40 represent
Thanx

That's the "SG" Starting Gravity, i.e. pre-fermentation the wort with all the sugar still present. That might be around 1.040. "FG" Final Gravity maybe 1.008, after all or most of the sugars have been fermented.

Think of it like this
- SG = high in the wort
- FG = low in wort
Thanx for that but how can I take the higher sg from the lower fg the multiply by the 131.25 as it will leave me with a minus

Subtract the lower gravity from the higher one.

(1.040 - 1.008) X 131.25 = 4.2% ABV
Thanx m8.
Not very strong beer but hopefully tastes good.the pack said put in 1kg of sugar but I put in 1.5 shall I leave for a few more days as its still bubbling away.

Probably a simpler way to think about it, the more sugary the liquid is, the thicker it is so the hydrometer floats higher. The less sugar/more alcohol the thinner the liquid so it sinks more

10 days seems a long time to complete a fermentation. Mine takes about three days. I wonder what yeast you used? And also the temperature of the fermentation?

Are those Imperial or Metric days? 😂😂
Oh the usual 24 hour days... When I was able to use fresh yeast from Batham's the fermentation was up and running within a couple of hours. Now I have to use dried yeast that takes about 24 hrs. But once going, the SG drops to what I want the FG to be in about 2 - 3 days depending of course on how high the OG is. If mine took 10 days, frankly I'd be getting concerned. Perhaps the longer time is a characteristic of beer kits? I don;t use them so I don't know; maybe their worts are not prone to getting started as well or maybe the yeasts typically supplied are perhaps not so vigorous?

Mine is usually done in 5 days so if I’m kegging I leave it for 2/3 days in the primary to cold crash then package. If I’m bottling I transferred to the bottling bucket cold crash for 2/3 days then package.

Latest posts

Back