Please help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve k

Reaction score
A few weeks ago i picked up a one can kit from my LHBS. It has now fermented out and is ready for bottling.
The trouble is Father Christmas brought me a pressure barrel and hamiltan bard cylinder down the chimney and i don't know what to do with it.

I am guessing that I rack the beer into the barrel with a bit of priming sugar, inject a bit of co2, crack the lid to displace the oxygen and then leave to condition???
Or do I skip the sugar and just use the co2 to carbonate??

Sorry for such a newbie question but there are no instructions with the kit for barrel conditioning and non with the barrel. :?

Cheers

Steve

I am guessing that I rack the beer into the barrel with a bit of priming sugar, inject a bit of co2, crack the lid to displace the oxygen and then leave to condition

this is correct :thumb:

Sorry for such a newbie question but there are no instructions with the kit for barrel conditioning and non with the barrel. :?

no such thing as a newbie question!!!! we all started some where :D

Put the sugar in about 250ml of water and boil for ten minutes then cover and leave to cool. Sterilise the keg and a siphon tube. Once cooled pour the sugar water into the keg trying not to splash it. Siphon the beer into the sugar water again trying not not splash it as air is bad. You can use the siphon to make it stir slowly if you push the tube so it's going round the keg instead of straight down. Seal keg well and leave in the warm for 1-2 weeks then move into the cool and leave it to condition.

Floodster said:
Siphon the beer into the sugar water again trying not not splash it as air is bad.

Could campden tablets be used to combat this, like we do in wine making?

Cheers

It appears I have a problem :(

I have noticed a slight leak on my barrel from around the tap. Should I have lubricated the seal before I filled it up?
I have released the pressure and it has slowed down a lot but it is still dripping. Please tell me how to save it.

Cheers

Steve

You have two choices. Drink it real quick. :grin: Or release the pressure, turn the keg on its side and reseat the tap, using a bit of vasaline. Then reprime with a bit of sugar and reseal. Leave it to recondition and you should be okay.

Steve k said:
Floodster said:
Siphon the beer into the sugar water again trying not not splash it as air is bad.

Could campden tablets be used to combat this, like we do in wine making?

Cheers
Campden tablets are used to remove the chlorine from the water. You still need to be careful not to introduce O2 into your beer regardless of whether or not you've used a campden tablet.

leaking taps can be a bit of bother-yes a bit of vaseline helps but sometimes giving a bit more of a tighten can fix it- i found my big ass adjustable wrench can grip the lugs on the tap and that seems to do the job-assuming it is around the tap and not from the tap

Latest posts

Back