Popped my extract cherry.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie66

Reaction score
Hi all,
My 15l pot finally arrived after 2 weeks [first one was lost by the delivery firm].
Did a Boddingtons bitter from Brew uk.
Good instructions easy to follow.Started off at 7 yesterday morning and the whole house stank of hops an hour later.
Finished spot on target @ 1036. Re-hydrated the Nottingham yeast & bunged it in had a peek at 6 last night and it's gone off like mad so fingers crossed it turns out ok.
I have a Wadworths 6x to try next, and like the look of the way to amarillo after that.
Hopefully that will be it for tins now, i have a wilco hoppy bitter with 35g of elderflowers added in the fv at the moment.

Brewing : Boddingtons extract, wilco hoppy bitter with elderflowers.
Conditioning : Wilco sweet newkie brown, wilco pear cider with added ribena.
Drinking : wilco golden ale, cerveza[done with med spraymalt] & apple cider.

Cheers Bob, haven't got the room for a ag set up.
Boddingtons is going well & smells good .
Might go up the Malvern Hills for the next brew & get 23l of spring water to see if it makes any difference.

eddie66 said:
Might go up the Malvern Hills for the next brew & get 23l of spring water to see if it makes any difference.

I didn't have room for an AG setup either, the shed sorted that out, you know you need a shed, I mean REALLY need a shed ;) :)

I've got a shed & a double garage, unfortunately both are full to bursting, besides it would be pushing my luck a bit !

eddie66 said:

I get all my homebrew water from the Hayslad Spring West Malvern , tastes great. :thumb:

Pearlfisher said:
eddie66 said:

I get all my homebrew water from the Hayslad Spring West Malvern , tastes great. :thumb:

You have to be careful which one you use, my Dad used to be on the Town council & they used to fence some off & post notices not to use them but that didn't stop people using them. The one along Jubilee Drive is the one i have been to.

Pearlfisher said:
My friend helped to dress that well last weekend , they won a Silver.

Saw it in the Malvern Gazette tonight,did it make the water taste better ?
I have a wadworths 6x extract kit to put on as soon as i have put the wilco hoppy bitter into a keg next wednesday so will be off up to the spring to get some water.

eddie66 said:

Apart from a bag or 2 sheets like I'm using you don't need anything else than what you have already.

This is my brew on Wednesday.

viewtopic.php?f=30&p=380786#p380786

I had assumed that I didn't have space so I simplified the process as much as possible. I use the stockpot as mash tun and boiler, then filter the hops out through a second sheet over the FV. I have 2 AGs in my FVs now. The first seems to have fermented out after 10 days. I'll bottle in another 4 days. :drunk:

Duxuk said:
eddie66 said:

Apart from a bag or 2 sheets like I'm using you don't need anything else than what you have already.

This is my brew on Wednesday.

viewtopic.php?f=30&p=380786#p380786

I had assumed that I didn't have space so I simplified the process as much as possible. I use the stockpot as mash tun and boiler, then filter the hops out through a second sheet over the FV. I have 2 AGs in my FVs now. The first seems to have fermented out after 10 days. I'll bottle in another 4 days. :drunk:

I'll try a few extract brews first to get used to the process then consider biab. There are some good looking kits on Brew uk so work through some of those first.

eddie66 said:
I'll try a few extract brews first to get used to the process then consider biab. There are some good looking kits on Brew uk so work through some of those first.

Must admit that I like the BrewUK Extract kits, here's the ones I've done in order of favouritism:

- Old Peculier, excellent (about to do it for the 2nd time)
- Exmoor Gold, excellent (about to do it for the 2nd time)
- Proper Job, excellent (benefitted form a bit of aging, too sweet at first, now top notch)
- Way To Amarillo, excellent
- Batemans XXXB, good
- Ringood 49er, good (not like real 49er, lacking something, but still a nice brew)

I've been thinking of giving BIAB a go but have stuck with Extract so far, as it gives me the right quality vs time balance with my brews. :D

....we should re-title this thread the Malvern Brew Club ;)

It's nice to know there are other brewers in the local area, you wouldn't know unless you are on this forum.
The Boddingtons has been in the fv for a week now so another week & into the bottles & see how it turns out. I had a taste of the Wilco hoppy bitter with elderflower yesterday & it tastes really good.I brewed it with 75% light spraymalt so it fermented out at 3.6% which is nice for a summer ale.The Boddingtons has stopped at 1008 giving 3.7%. The whole process took about 2 hours so if it is a big improvement on cans then is worth it & the cost works out about the same as a 2 can kit now i have a pot.
Member of the Malvern/Upton brewing club !

eddie66 said:
I had a taste of the Wilco hoppy bitter with elderflower yesterday & it tastes really good.I brewed it with 75% light spraymalt so it fermented out at 3.6% which is nice for a summer ale.

I want to make something similar to Wye Valley Flower Power , I tried last year using fresh elderflowers but something went horribly wrong and it ended up on the rhubarb in the garden.
How much dried elderflowers did you use? did you boil them first and at which stage did you add them to the FV?

Pearlfisher said:
eddie66 said:
I had a taste of the Wilco hoppy bitter with elderflower yesterday & it tastes really good.I brewed it with 75% light spraymalt so it fermented out at 3.6% which is nice for a summer ale.

I want to make something similar to Wye Valley Flower Power , I tried last year using fresh elderflowers but something went horribly wrong and it ended up on the rhubarb in the garden.
How much dried elderflowers did you use? did you boil them first and at which stage did you add them to the FV?

I added 35g after 6 days and just chucked them into the fv, its been in 11 days now so will bottle up on wed/thurs next week.
Got them at the Bran Tub on Belle Vue Terrace, £1.99 for 50g.

Latest posts

Back