Popping my cherry!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F. Ervescent

Reaction score
Hello Wise Ones! I am attempting an elderflower concoction and have a few queries as this is my 1st attempt at ANYTHING alcoholic. I'm experienced at other preserves eg. jam and chutney and had a successful 1st go at fermenting blackberry leaves for tea this Spring. I have made elderflower cordial for many years and freeze it thereby avoiding sterilisation and using too much sugar, my recipe and method is unlike anything else I've come across but it works. I'm not sure what's made me try elderflower 'champagne' this year (no alcohol has passed my lips for 25 years) but I currently have more than 25 litres of flowers, lemon, water and sugar in a fermenting bucket in the cellar. I've read various recipes online but am going my own way because I am using considerably more flowers. My questions then are; 1. Will the quantity of flowers used simply influence the strength of the flavour? 2. Is the temperature of the ferment of much consequence (the cellar is quite cool)? 3. Is it necessary to sterilise the plastic bottles I intend using for final storage and if so how? Many thanks for reading the essay, fingers crossed for some feedback 😁

Hello!
That sounds exciting! I’m afraid I can’t help with many of your questions aside from the last. It is a necessity to sanitise your storage bottles. I would use something like ChemSan available from forum sponsor KegThat at very reasonable prices.

Back