possible bubbler problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwazulu

Reaction score
Hi,

first ever brew is on the go, 4 demijohns of cider, 2 glass dj's, 2 plastic dj's. I pitched the yeast yesterday evening and stuck the bubblers on all 4 bottles. There is a lot of fermentation going on in all of the bottles. The Problem -> there is a steady flow of bubbles from the glass dj's but no bubbles from the plastic dj's even though it looks as though there is more going on in the plastic ones. I know there are no blockages as the water level moves if I very gently touch the side of the plastic dj...

One of my weaknesses is a lack of patience when it comes to these sorts of things, maybe thats the only problem here, but if anyone else has seen this before and has some suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Does your plastic Dj have a leak that is letting the carbon dioxide out so it doesn't have to go through the bubbler?

Just a thought.
R

Apply a little vasiline around the thread of the bottle top and around the whole in the bottle top where the bubbler comes thru. This should either seal it or show where the gas is escaping from.

Rolfster said:
Does your plastic Dj have a leak that is letting the carbon dioxide out so it doesn't have to go through the bubbler?

I suppose its a possibility and something I have considered but even the slightest touch on the side of the dj and the water level moves. You reckon it would be ok for me to remove the lids etc and try and refit them? this wont affect the fermentation yet will it?

LeithR said:
and around the whole in the bottle top where the bubbler comes thru

ok thanks, I'll do the thread of the lid. the lid does have a rubber grommet into which the bubbler is inserted, I'll do that as well just to be on the safe side. will let you all know if it gets resolved. thanks for the speedy responses.

i dont use bubblers or airlocks just a bit of clingfilm with a pin hole in it and place the cap back on

Gents, thanks very much!

Definitely had air leaks. Wrapped some cling film over the top, poked a hole in it, replaced lid with bubbler and put Vaseline around the base of bubbler and grommet in the outside of the lid. Now bubbling away.

Back