Possible drain pour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braindead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Looks like somethings gone wrong.
24 hours after pitching the sour pitch and my yeast it's gone down from 4.5 to 2.6
WTF???
Actually doesn't even taste that sour.

Drain pour???? IMG_20200816_094001.jpg

Is the pH meter calibrated? Is this a kettle sour or a sour ferment?

No it's a Co pitched sour.
My 1st one.
Done heaps of research and puzzled why it's dropped so low.
Yeah freshly calibrated

If it tastes nice then keep it. I haven't made many sours in my time but I don't really take pH readings and rely on taste.

That sounds implausibly low to me. Finished lambic is in the 3.2-3.4 range.

I’d recalibrate and measure again in 24 hours. Did you pitch sacc and sour bugs at the same time?

i would think you have a bad reading especially as it doesn't taste sour. I just measured a batch of kombucha that is sour as vinegar and it's 3.15 a geuze at 3.34 and another sour beer at 4.21 and all are distinctly sour, at 2.6 you should notice sourness when tasting. I am also pretty sure yeast would not be working in that kind of environment, but could be wrong. wonder if the fermentation is messing up your reading.

Well I recalibrated my pH meter and its now down to 2.5.
But it's tasting amazing, getting some nice funky aromas popping through and it has that tingly fizzy feeling.
I'm wondering if my pH meter was out when I added the lactic to 4.5
Think I may let it ride a few more days before hopping, will more funk come out the longer I leave it??
Still bloody bizarre how it's not toe curlingly sour at 2.5 but I'm digging it.

Latest posts

Back