Possible win?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zedilly

Regular.
Reaction score
I have just been chatting to a nice lady who works in the local supermarket and they have been having a tasting weekend on some of the beers and wines they sell. We got chatting about the mini kegs and she has kindly given me 3 of them so I could reuse them.

20130909_105453_zps477eb1b7.jpg

As their tasting promotion has now finished they are all still 3/4 full and only opened on Friday so I should be able to get a few pints out of them before they go off.

My question is this though, can these be refilled and reused as they have an extra bit on the top for an integrated pressure system (the red bit in this photo)

20130909_105500_zps60c61cd8.jpg

My understanding is that this bit contains a small co2 cartridge.

The kegs themselves are these http://www.huber-packaging.com/en/bever ... g-ips.html

Any thoughts or ideas or has anyone else got any experience of using these?

Many thanks.

iv not used them but if your have got a few more coming, i would rip one apart to see if you remove the co2 without you damaging the rest of the kegs or could you leave the co2 in place and just refill and count it as dead space

My best guess is that you can ignore the presence of the (used) co2 canister and treat it like a regular mini-keg. So, yes, you can probably re-use them, but not with the CO2-dispense feature.

there is a way, we had some at TST. I'm not sure how you do it but it involves a little light...bending, I guess :p

the beer will be good for about a week from opening. if you havn't made a dent by friday, it's party time!

I'm using a few.
Without pressurizing the flow is slow. However some priming sugar can account for that. My brew isnt ready, but I had a quick sample and its working fine.

be carefull pulling the central bung out, wrapp a few turns of dental floss round and use a screwdriver as a handle to pull up on..

u can buy new bungs both top tap friendly and natural vent..

with a party top tap and intergrated co2 they should do u well :), to pour from the side tap built in use a venting plug so when the natural condition dies down you can open the vent to pour without glugging back up the tap once vented the beer will last a day or so at most tho.

The only problem you might have is sanitising them. The co2 incorporated system will possibly refill with liquid once it's empty and will be a bugger to clean out. Other than that they look like regular 5lt kegs, which I have used with no problem. As said spare bungs etc are easily available from HB shops and Candirect.

Latest posts

Back