Nano/Pilot Brewery Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilloryBrewingCo.

Reaction score
After a few years brewing and positive feedback from friends, family and beer nerds (although they may just be nice and free beer always tastes better). I have been thinking about scaling my batch size with an end goal of being able to sell very small quantities to the public, I have been looking for a while for kit to suit my needs whilst not spending lots of money.

I picked up a Powell Brewing (I think) 3 vessel kit from a sailing club in the North West that brewed its own beer for the club bar winning some CAMRA awards, got a good deal on it made better when the kit came with a good size plate chiller and corny keg as I was leaving in a van borrowed from work. So this thread will be me sorting out to meet my needs some DIY and asking questions along with reminding myself what I've done and needs doing.

So what did I get...

70L HLT
100L Mash Tun with false bottom 2 X Elements
100L Boil Kettle with False bottom 3 X Elements
Plate Chiller
Stand
Various Camlocks and bits.
Corny Keg.

My Plans

HLT- Swap it for another one I already have that's in better condition, this means holes punching for a new sight glass, elements and temperature probe.

Mash Tun - Temperature prob fitting and maybe a RIMS system.

Boil Kettle - Swap the elements, new temperature probe and fit a whirlpool valve

All will have fresh 3 piece valves fitted and camlocks and will order 2 pumps and fresh hoses along with a good tidy up painting and waterproofing the stand.

Planning on building a controller myself with assistance from a colleague who is involved with electrical contracting. Buy a fermenter and brite tank or unitank been speaking to a few Chinese suppliers and ultimately find somewhere to brew or convert the garage into a legal brewery, this will never be a full time thing for me just something to fill my time on my rest days from work.

I will try and update as often as I can, but it won't be a quick project.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 6
Fair play. Hope it goes well for you!

Maybe next year you'll be asking around for microbreweries who are offering contract brewing or facility rental during off hours!

Fair play. Hope it goes well for you!

Maybe next year you'll be asking around for microbreweries who are offering contract brewing or facility rental during off hours!
Could be or rent some space maybe, who knows, if it doesn't happen its given me a project to play with.

If you haven’t done so already, I recommend that you watch all the videos posted by four priests brewing (also a member here) who has trodden a similar path (edit: actually his kit is a bit bigger) and documented almost every step of the way in his blog:
View attachment 86238
Not the first person to recommend his channel, I know Me Four Priests through the local home brew group.

After a few years brewing and positive feedback from friends, family and beer nerds (although they may just be nice and free beer always tastes better). I have been thinking about scaling my batch size with an end goal of being able to sell very small quantities to the public, I have been looking for a while for kit to suit my needs whilst not spending lots of money.

I picked up a Powell Brewing (I think) 3 vessel kit from a sailing club in the North West that brewed its own beer for the club bar winning some CAMRA awards, got a good deal on it made better when the kit came with a good size plate chiller and corny keg as I was leaving in a van borrowed from work. So this thread will be me sorting out to meet my needs some DIY and asking questions along with reminding myself what I've done and needs doing.

So what did I get...

70L HLT
Plate Chiller
Stand
Corny Keg.

My Plans

HLT- Swap it for another one I already have that's in better condition, this means holes punching for a new sight glass, elements and temperature probe.

Boil Kettle - Swap the elements, new temperature probe and fit a whirlpool valve

All will have fresh 3 piece valves fitted and camlocks and will order 2 pumps and fresh hoses along with a good tidy up painting and waterproofing the stand.

Planning on building a controller myself with assistance from a colleague who is involved with electrical contracting. Buy a fermenter and brite tank or unitank been speaking to a few Chinese suppliers and ultimately find somewhere to brew or convert the garage into a legal brewery, this will never be a full time thing for me just something to fill my time on my rest days from work.

I've been thinking about a similar path so will be following your adventure closely (thanks to the op for the Four Priests channel too). If you're looking to build your own controller, there's some pictures and details of the BrewPi/BrewBlox setup I've built further down in my 'newbie' thread. It's pretty awesome and very well sorted. Just DM me if I can help.

I've been thinking about a similar path so will be following your adventure closely (thanks to the op for the Four Priests channel too). If you're looking to build your own controller, there's some pictures and details of the BrewPi/BrewBlox setup I've built further down in my 'newbie' thread. It's pretty awesome and very well sorted. Just DM me if I can help.

Just had a good look, I may ask some questions about the controller in the next few months. I like the use of powercon connectors, something I haven't thought of.

Well done m8!
Hi, I am going down the same route. But I focused on the FV/cold side as I mainly cheat by using HLME and steeped grains unless I've got plenty spare time. I'm now mainly using modded under bar glycol chillers with STC1000 controllers to the jacketed FV's with internal coils. I don't can or bottle just keg to cornies and ecofass kegs.

I got a smartpid cube Products that I'm boxing to control my modded 100L powell pot with two 3kw lwd immersion heaters on 51mm triclamps. Currently installing a hoist (salvaged person bath hoist) for the grain bag. As my back objects to me lifting hot wet grain bags,,,,

Funny that I never planned most of this it just developed naturally from info on this forum!

Well done m8!
Hi, I am going down the same route. But I focused on the FV/cold side as I mainly cheat by using HLME and steeped grains unless I've got plenty spare time. I'm now mainly using modded under bar glycol chillers with STC1000 controllers to the jacketed FV's with internal coils. I don't can or bottle just keg to cornies and ecofass kegs.

I got a smartpid cube Products that I'm boxing to control my modded 100L powell pot with two 3kw lwd immersion heaters on 51mm triclamps. Currently installing a hoist (salvaged person bath hoist) for the grain bag. As my back objects to me lifting hot wet grain bags,,,,

Funny that I never planned most of this it just developed naturally from info on this forum!
Thanks the Smartpid stuff looks interesting to play with, the controller will be my last part of the project I feel.

The hoist will help, worst part of brew day for me is pulling grains, felt a little dangerous on the robobrew with its bad lift handle.

Good Afternoon,

Had a few hours today before work, starting with the HLT. I have 2 pretty much matching pot, one that came with the kit is a little tired and one I was given that only has a hole for a tap and needs a good clean. So out came my new favourite friend, a drill with brush attachments and some powered Bar Keeper's Friend that has lived under the sink since the start of time.

20230531_141029.jpg

No, before pics as I forgot but trust me it was rather dirty and stained. But it is nice a shiny now, always like to keep my kit clean.

Plans for this vessel

1 x 1.5 weldless tri-clamp with a 5.5Kw ripple element.
1 x Thermowell or probe.
1 x 3 Piece valve with cam lock
1 x Valve at the top for recirculation. (May not need it, but nice to have)
1 x Sight glass
1 x Analogue thermometer

time to order some bits....

Attachments

• 20230531_135800.jpg
    20230531_135800.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230531_135908.jpg
    20230531_135908.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230531_141036.jpg
    20230531_141036.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

So what did I get...

70L HLT
Plate Chiller
Stand
Corny Keg.

My Plans

I think trying the kit out first would be a worthwhile idea rather than changing everything first, you'll learn the kit and at same time learn about scaling up your recipes.
Converting a garage is a bit of an expense to get up to Env Health standards, especially if bottling/canning.
And electrics! Fortunately I have night rate so brew 3-4 a.m.
Wouldn't not do it though, most enjoyable seeing people pay for and enjoy your own beer.

I think trying the kit out first would be a worthwhile idea rather than changing everything first, you'll learn the kit and at same time learn about scaling up your recipes.
Converting a garage is a bit of an expense to get up to Env Health standards, especially if bottling/canning.
And electrics! Fortunately I have night rate so brew 3-4 a.m.
Wouldn't not do it though, most enjoyable seeing people pay for and enjoy your own beer.
Once the hlt is done I may have a brew day maybe a simple smash beer. The hlt elements I have are rather manky so will be binned.

At the moment plans to sell are a long term goal and may not happen but the system doesn't take up much space in the garage and I like a project was either this or a motorbike restoration.

Last edited:
Once the hlt is done I may have a brew day maybe a simple smash beer. The hlt elements I have are rather manky so will be binned.

At the moment plans to sell are a long term goal and may not happen but the system doesn't take up much space in the garage and I like a project was either this or a motorbike restoration.
A major problem I had was getting electric supply sorted, running 2/3 elements wasn't good for the house wiring.

I'm on this path. Started building a 3 vessel system about a year ago as a lockdown project capable of 80 litre batches...could probably squeeze 100 litres if I was feeling fruity, and have since had request from a local restaurant to brew a few 'special' beers for them for food matching and the local pub who would take a keg or two off me whenever I can supply, which suits me nicely as I don't have the appetite to leave my job and get a huge loan to set up properly, but supplying a couple of local business at my convenience and running out of my garage sounds perfect. Gives me a reason to brew more often and brew larger batches, and have the thrill of seeing my beer being served in public. As long as it covers its cost and maybe earns me a bit of spare beer money it would be worth it for me.

I ended up building my own control system after looking at a few options that were either off the shelf product that are eyewateringly expensive...or 'smarter' setups that were just as much hassle to set up than building one from scratch....and I didn't want to be relying on some form of smart interface or computer...just something else to go wrong on a brewday and I'd rather have proper switches, wiring, terminal blocks etc. that I could troubleshoot and easily. To be fair wasn't particularly cheap to build yourself by the time you've got all the materials and some additional tools but at least I know it and how it works and can fix it myself.

We'll see if it works out or not but at least I can do it at my own pace.

For electricity supply I got two 32A commando sockets installed. So one is on the HLT/Kettle circuit (cant run both at the same time which might be limiting) and one for the mash/RIMs circuit. Thinking about it I can run the RIMS and HLT or Kettle on one circuit simultaneously so might have to do a bit of re-wiring. Cost a couple of hundred quid with a local electrician so not too bad cost wise if you have the breaker slots spare in your consumer unit.

I'm on this path. Started building a 3 vessel system about a year ago as a lockdown project capable of 80 litre batches...could probably squeeze 100 litres if I was feeling fruity, and have since had request from a local restaurant to brew a few 'special' beers for them for food matching and the local pub who would take a keg or two off me whenever I can supply, which suits me nicely as I don't have the appetite to leave my job and get a huge loan to set up properly, but supplying a couple of local business at my convenience and running out of my garage sounds perfect. Gives me a reason to brew more often and brew larger batches, and have the thrill of seeing my beer being served in public. As long as it covers its cost and maybe earns me a bit of spare beer money it would be worth it for me.

I ended up building my own control system after looking at a few options that were either off the shelf product that are eyewateringly expensive...or 'smarter' setups that were just as much hassle to set up than building one from scratch....and I didn't want to be relying on some form of smart interface or computer...just something else to go wrong on a brewday and I'd rather have proper switches, wiring, terminal blocks etc. that I could troubleshoot and easily. To be fair wasn't particularly cheap to build yourself by the time you've got all the materials and some additional tools but at least I know it and how it works and can fix it myself.

We'll see if it works out or not but at least I can do it at my own pace.

For electricity supply I got two 32A commando sockets installed. So one is on the HLT/Kettle circuit (cant run both at the same time which might be limiting) and one for the mash/RIMs circuit. Thinking about it I can run the RIMS and HLT or Kettle on one circuit simultaneously so might have to do a bit of re-wiring. Cost a couple of hundred quid with a local electrician so not too bad cost wise if you have the breaker slots spare in your consumer unit.
I found running a system to satisfy all Env Health out of garage is not as straightforward, unless your garage has washable surfaces, extraction, hand washing facilities & etc

I found running a system to satisfy all Env Health out of garage is not as straightforward, unless your garage has washable surfaces, extraction, hand washing facilities & etc
Yes indeed, and that begs the question "why legal" unless you are running it properly commercially?

Thanks for that. Yep I'm aware there are some hurdles. I know two larger micro breweries with 500 litre systems that are running out of their garages/out buildings of their property. They had to jump through a few hoops, but mainly, for them, because they lived in rural locations and their drainage ran directly into a river they had to ensure their run off was treated before going into the river. I'm not so fortunate to live in such a nice rural location and drainage is connected into the system along with a thousand other homes so shouldn't be an issue for me, or at least they didn't seem to think so, due to dilution effect of all the other homes run off water before the water ends up in a natural waterway....but we'll see. For me this is just a small enterprise I can run at my own convenience so doesn't' make sense if I'd have to do it off site in a unit or something. However I've been offered to cuckoo brew off either of their two systems if I wanted or needed. But I don't think I'll need 500 litres for supplying a couple of crates of bottles to a small restaurant a month and a keg to the local pub every now and again.

Extraction shouldn't be an issue and my kettle already has a condenser lid. I've also already run water into the garage so can fit a sink...luckily I have a toilet the other side of the back wall of the garage. Just need de-cluttering as it's currently also a workshop, bike storage, old paint tin storage and for storage for a host of other odds and sods I've forgotten about. Need to decant that lot into another location or chuck half of it.

Back