Potential First Brew Errors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trappers

Reaction score
A few days ago I started fermenting my first brew with a pretty standard Cooper's English Bitter kit, but I am obviously completely inexperienced and think I might have made a serious error. Basically, I didn't insert the airlock into the rubber grommet in the top of the fermenting bin and I'm now worried that the brew will be contaminated/have an unpleasant taste, although I have kept the lid closed the whole time. Am I right to worry, or should the ale be fine as long as it isn't contaminated?

Also, there is a lot of sediment around the rim of the bin that looks like yeast, should I stir this back into the liquid?

Cheers for any help.

Leave it alone, don't stir, and read this, then come back again if there's anything you're still bothered about.

Moley said:
Leave it alone, don't stir, and read this, then come back again if there's anything you're still bothered about.

Thanks very much, very useful. So do you think that it will "probably" be ok then? I've stuck my airlock in with a bit of water in it just because it can't do any harm, and may keep out anything that might get in between now and the end of fermentation. It is a u-bend type, but it also has a red cap, do I need to leave this on? To be honest this should probably be in the brewing instructions...

and, more importantly, Polo Phil, yes it is! I didn't think it would be so obvious but... it is my favourite ale, my aim for brewing is to be able to brew something that tastes slightly like that, eventually.

Your brew will be fine. The yeast produce a Co2 layer on to of the brew which helps protect it. It is possible to brew in a open vessel and i believe that is how it used to be done but if you want more control you are better off with a closed system.

As for the red cap, it doesnt really matter. I place it on to stop the water going to funky.

Trappers said:
and, more importantly, Polo Phil, yes it is! I didn't think it would be so obvious but... it is my favourite ale, my aim for brewing is to be able to brew something that tastes slightly like that, eventually.
It's a good pint is Trappers Hat! :D

Good luck with your brewing! All will be fine :thumb:

Latest posts

Back