Pouring beer down the drain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheazy_joe

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've got a right few bottles of 'Hammer of Thor' left over from a brew I did in March this year I think. I've tried to give it as much time to settle, and have drunk as much as I can to acquire the taste. A couple of months ago i thought I had got it but it was a false alarm, I just ain't getting into this beer at all. So it looks like the only option is to pour it down the drain to free up the bottles for other brews.

Heartbreaking proposition but what else is there to do??

Have tried giving it out but none of my mates are really into it, they just want my Youngs American IPA!!!!

I wouldn't tip it. I made some turbo cider about 2 years ago and couldn't drink it at all, but my son son had one the other day and said it was nice. So I tried it and found it's mellowed out nicely. I'm guessing your hammer of thor will get better if you keep it longer. As long as you've space for it, forget about it for a year and try it again. If its still unpalatable give it away as xmas prezzies:D

If it isn't going to be drunk then I guess releasing the bottles it the only way forward. I did that kit a couple of years ago and didn't think it was too bad. I recently ditched 43 bottles of a pale ale I did a year ago using discounted malt extract with whitbread holdings hops.... I realise why the extract was discounted... It's the only brew I've had to throw away completely, it was that bad.

I'm bottling a brew on Saturday so that will give me a good chance to see where my empty bottle stock stands. Realistically I'll probably only get one more batch done before Christmas then am planning to at long last get my first full extract and AG brews on during the holidays so will need bottles for those. Will sit on the Hammer of Thor until then, if bottles are needed I will ditch the Thor, or might even make them into cocktails with a wee bit of lemonade and see how that tastes.

Really don't want to pour beer down the drain but no point keeping it if it is not gonna get drunk.

I don't mind admitting i have thrown a lot away. If i don't like it its gone. Some of my beers are great and some i would never wanna drink. Its annoying but it is a hobby after all. Personally i would not cook with beer i wouldn't drink.

I'm about to ditch about 15 pints of my wherry to free up a pb. It's been in there nearly a year, have drunk it by now if I was ever going to. Keep thinking i must have a pint or two but something always takes my fancy more. Tbh it was never great. Didn't fully ferment out and was sweet and treacly, not my thing at all. Also I moved onto extract and ag so quickly this was never going to win out.

Chuck your Thor. If you're not drinking it you're not losing anything. My lesson, smaller batches. If it's great, brew more, if it's ditchwater, you're not stuck with 40 pints to sink. Of course that's not really doable with kits

L E M O N A D E ????
Owts better than chucking it.

I've perked up some god awful brews and passed them off as spritzers. :lol:

I ditched the last few of my Youngs IPA. I brewed it short for some reason so it was over 7% and I could taste the alcohol. I have a few other types of IPA so I was never going to drink it.

By contrast, I had about 8 bottles left of a Simply Pale Ale that I planned to chuck as I hadn't really enjoyed any of the first 20 odd and I hadn't touched them for months. I thought I would try one before I binned them and to my surprise they were really nice after 6 months, so it's a shame I hadn't left them all for that long!

maybe a bottle swop with someone who is thinking of doing the kit? perhaps a post in the recipe thread. the instruction say to ferment at 18-24 so its not a lager yeast. I'd give it a go if its 6% :-)

Back