Pressure barrel advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bob

Reaction score
Hi all.

I acquired a cheap (but in good nick) pressure barrel at the weekend. It's the old Boots type and the 4" cap has 2 pre drilled holes in it. I've fitted a new Co2 pressure relief valve (to fit the 8gm bulbs) to the larger hole and that seems to fit fine. I'm just stuck with how to best seal the other hole (its only about 6-7mm diameter). Would it be viable to fill it with some epoxy putty which dries rock hard? Any experience of whether that would work under pressure? Or is there maybe a better solution?

I originally just planned on replacing the lid, but from speaking to the LHBS I now know that other 4" caps (King Keg, etc) have a different thread to these barrels! This is my first stab at trying a pressure barrel.

Any help really appreciated.

Cheers
Rob

I would seal with a bit of SS preferably or brass h/w depending on the hole size, a short nut and bolt with 2 washers compressed may be easier.
ptfe tape and silicone baking sheet washers will help pressure seal the h/w.

if u do use epoxy find one certified foodsafe..

Or get a pressure relief valve as it was intended for,
our local hbs stonehelm is online, and they stock em, as well as new lids..

what i'd do is get a stainless bolt and nylock nut with 2 kevlar washers
push the bolt into the hole or make the hole the right size for your nut and bolt
bolt and washer through and nut and washer inside
check for leaks etc
make sure you use stainless through out and the nylock nuts important you don't want it ending up in yu beer.
I would stay away from resins and glues
hope this helps

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about the bolt, nut and washer option, so may try that and test the barrel.

Fil - Sorry...what do you mean by h/w?
I was intending to just replace the whole cap, but from what I've been told and read caps compatible with this barrel are not easy to find now.

Cheers.

Double Bob said:
Fil - Sorry...what do you mean by h/w?
I was intending to just replace the whole cap, but from what I've been told and read caps compatible with this barrel are not easy to find now.

Cheers.

sorry speed typing h/w hard ware, 15mm brass compresion fittings or bsp 1/2" (end cap and locknut) would fit a 20-21mm hole for example..

i dont know much about buying pb caps now, but stonehelm and the copper kettle 2 brerwshops ive had good dealings with are run by brewers who are happy to answer questions about their stock?? and there is also the site sponsers to check out ;)

Latest posts

Back