Pressure fermenting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inspired someone to try open fermenting. Hopefully, provided enough credible sources to give others the confidence to try pressure fermenting for themselves. Still have my integrity. Shared a joke along the way. I'll happily take that defeat.

Considering that your stock answer when asked if you have anything to do with keg king is that you are just a satisfied customer I would say that it is a fair assumption 😉
TBF after this thread where he’s been adamant that pressure fermenting makes **** beer, I might actually believe he doesn’t work for Keg King after all, given their flagship products are pressure rated FVs!

Last edited:
TBF after this thread where he’s been adamant that pressure fermenting makes **** beer, I might actually believe he doesn’t work for Keg King given their flagship products are pressure rated FVs!
While pressure fermenting makes **** beer it enables one to carbonate the beer at the end of fermentation, and oxygen free transfers.
My sympathy to the OP on this thread, lot's of replies but few answers ☹️
More than enough information than he needed I think.
Considering that your stock answer when asked if you have anything to do with keg king is that you are just a satisfied customer I would say that it is a fair assumption 😉
I made my mind up in my twenties that I wasn't going to work for an employer and make them rich, I am at the moment a man of leisure after I sold my last business. Today I am of into the Christmas Hills to do some fishing, yesterday it was a day in the garden, haven't thought about tomorrow yet. The fermenters I have may have a blemish on them or a bit of discoloration so with the rigid quality control KK has, instead of them going to the tip I take them still perfectly OK and pressure rated.

Last company sold,
1680562011298.png

I just put a black pilsner down in the apollo with a 15 psi puple vale . Presure fermenting is new to me .
Started off with no presure but letting it build .
As long as it is in an Apollo it will be fine. As our vulpine antipodean will be quick to tell you it is using Kegland fermenters which produces rubbish beer.

For anyone interested in trying pressure fermenting, this is the data from the White/Blichmann experiment. Which clearly shows that the appropriate top pressure will result in similar ester profile without affecting yeast performance.

The one metric they couldn't measure was sulphur. Both White and Blichmann report that they're sensory evaluation was that the cold fermented lager was more sulphury.

Note this is for just one of the many, many beer styles and at the extremes of both temperature and pressure variables. If you are fermenting at room temperature, but want the effect of temperature control at 18°c, maintaining a top pressure of a few psi may be enough to keep esters and diacetyl in check.

Hope the data is still legible. This site always appears to reduce resolution of uploads.
Please would you provide a reference for the paper reporting the White/Blichmann experiment? The data in your post show generally lower levels of esters in the beer fermented under pressure which might result in a more muted sensory impact.

To paraphrase one of the great tweets of all time, I ain't reading all the rest of this thread for obvious reasons (I'm happy for u tho), so I'm sorry if this has been said already..

But I understood that pressure fermentation wasn't about CO2 inhibiting ester formation but rather the pressure on the yeast cell membrane interfering with the molecules it is able to exchange with the surrounding medium - literally, it can't push out as many esters (or ester-forming compounds) when under high stress? Which theoretically has a very similar effect to cool fermentation where there is less energy for cell membrane transfer.

Functionally it may be the same thing but I thought I would query it in case it is not. And I may be wrong: I moved house in September and the new garage needs a lot of work before it can serve as a home brewery - so the kit is currently in bits and I have not really been paying attention to the literature either.

If you want a sensible answer on HBF, you should never ask about pressure fermenting or 30 minute boils!
You took the words right off my keyboard. I was working my way through this thread and about to say it reminded me of the 30 minute boil " debate " and whether you need a vigorous open boil or just a gentle one.

Back