Pressure barrel noob.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After getting a king Keg for Christmas I’ve finally got round to using it.
I’ve followed Hazelwood’s advice and used PTFE tape on threads, cable tied the co2 inlet band and changed to a brown outlet band. I’ve not over tightened the valve nut and tightened the top with a keg wrench/spanner. My brews been in for a day now and there’s an aroma of beer coming from the valve area is this normal?
I’m thinking it’ll be easy enough to tighten things more now rather than wait until later.

I’ve followed Hazelwood’s advice and used PTFE tape on threads, cable tied the co2 inlet band and changed to a brown outlet band. I’ve not over tightened the valve nut and tightened the top with a keg wrench/spanner. My brews been in for a day now and there’s an aroma of beer coming from the valve area is this normal?
I’m thinking it’ll be easy enough to tighten things more now rather than wait until later.

Apologies, I can't answer your question but, I wouldn't mind a read of @Hazelwood Brewery 's post. Do you have the link at all?

Hey Rich,

Is the keg keeping pressure?

Problems with king keg and other brands is the total reason i decided not to go down this route.

In the days when i was a senior manager of an engineering company i could of corrected the shortcomings.
For my own barrels.(that is.)

today as a private citizen i have no means to do so,
So i don't.!!!!

Last edited:
Not really sure, like I said it’s only been a day. Would enough secondary fermentation pressure been created.

No, one day won’t be enough. If you do have a leak any gas that is produced will escape as it’s produced so pressure won’t build.

Do you have gas bulbs or a gas bottle to inject gas into your keg?

At the moment you don’t know whether you have a leak or not so you can either wait for a few days and see if pressure builds (beer will come out the tap under pressure) or you can inject gas to find out more quickly. Do you have a preference?

Thanks for all the help. I don’t really want to muck about with it too much. I think I’ll wait a few days and see how it comes out the tap.
I’ve no doubt this isn’t going to be the last time I’ll be looking for help.

I had a little try today. Beers has come out no problem with a creamy head but no carbonation at all. Tastes fine for a young beer.
I used 150g of dextrose after reading somewhere the 100g you get with the Razorback kit wasn’t going to enough. Should I have some bubbles by now or should I wait?

I had a little try today. Beers has come out no problem with a creamy head but no carbonation at all. Tastes fine for a young beer.
I used 150g of dextrose after reading somewhere the 100g you get with the Razorback kit wasn’t going to enough. Should I have some bubbles by now or should I wait?
Should be carved by now as its 2 weeks nearly I would assume..

That’s what I was hoping for. So I’m thinking I have two options, leave it and drink flat but drinkable beer or crack it open and try a third fermentation and hope that works. As it’s the first attempt with the PB I’m expecting teething problems until I get my head around everything.

I think I may have the problem with my brew, flat but drinkable. Did you try a third fermentation?

I haven’t. To be honest I’m getting through it so I can get another brew in it. Ive had to put some O2 in it and even though I cable tied the inlet valve I had air escaping when I went to remove the capsule so I quickly tightened it back up. I’ve bought a new valve to replace the original. As I said teething problems but hopeful there won’t be any more.

Back