Prime my Bonfire Nite brew with Treacle, jaggery, sour cherry or stick with dextrose?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madchester7

Reaction score
As title reads really:)

I made a brew last Sunday to be along the lines of crafty old hen which is a raisiny amber ale at 6.5%, strong but easy to drink. Without researching recipes I just went with my instinct (and brew calculator of course) and used 5000g pale ale malt, 400g Caramunich III, 400g Special B and 200g torrified wheat and a little green bullet and galena hops. The OG was 1.065, It's been fermenting for 6 days and is now at 1.019 and coming to the end of fermentation. The taste and colour and bitterness are all very close to what I was planning for so that's great but I want an extra twist of flavour so today I bought some Treacle, jaggery and got some sour cherry syrup (no chemicals in it just concentrated cherry juice, sugar and citric acid - it's lovely) and I'm considering priming with one or a combo of these.

Would any of these in particular be best to use?

Given the small quantities involves what you prime with provides very little in the way of flavour. Obviously this will depend on sugar content, if your cherry syrup has a low sugar content and you need to add a load to get the desired carbonation level it'll leave some flavour behind. Treacle and jaggery won't add any noticeable flavour IMO.

Ditto the comments of DoctorMick. On the flip side it is handy to know in the absence of dextrose.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Not got my book to hand but isn't treacle only around 50% fermentable? Still probably won't give a flavour though,

As title reads really:)

I made a brew last Sunday to be along the lines of crafty old hen which is a raisiny amber ale at 6.5%, strong but easy to drink. Without researching recipes I just went with my instinct (and brew calculator of course) and used 5000g pale ale malt, 400g Caramunich III, 400g Special B and 200g torrified wheat and a little green bullet and galena hops. The OG was 1.065, It's been fermenting for 6 days and is now at 1.019 and coming to the end of fermentation. The taste and colour and bitterness are all very close to what I was planning for so that's great but I want an extra twist of flavour so today I bought some Treacle, jaggery and got some sour cherry syrup (no chemicals in it just concentrated cherry juice, sugar and citric acid - it's lovely) and I'm considering priming with one or a combo of these.

Would any of these in particular be best to use?

maybe add a concentrate/essence to your priming solution to the bottom of your bottling barrel before you rack off then give it a good stir once you have racked into it ?

Latest posts

Back