Primeing problems,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The experts (ref. John Palmer's book How To Brew) describe oxidation as tasting of cardboard, and smelling of old paper. It is not unknown, but unlikely to happen to bottle conditioned beers unless you have been very clumsy during the bottling process, e.g. splashing the beer from one container to another. The reason for this is because the remaining yeast is still working in the bottle (in order to produce the required CO2/fizz) so will normally chew up the small amount of oxygen in the headspace.
Unfortunately your aftertaste may be due to something else, or it could just be that your beer is still "green" and needs more time to mature. You didn't mention what your ABV is, but stronger beers generally need more time (as mentioned by OB above)
PS - A few air bubbles in the syphon tube are unlikely (at least in my opinion) to cause any serious oxidation because they are not constantly being renewed.

Little update:

I put the bottles in a much warmer place last week and cracked one last night after chilling of course, it was delightfully gassy but had a little after taste, so I think all the faffing has ruined it slightly or maybe caused by air bubbles during syfening, what taste is the Oxygenization?
I put the bottles in a much warmer place last week and cracked one last night after chilling of course, it was delightfully gassy but had a little after taste
Hi Nick

If it was literally only last week that secondary fermentation began you need to give this 14 days and then back into a colder place to condition. They should improve with time, trust me

Hi Nick

If it was literally only last week that secondary fermentation began you need to give this 14 days and then back into a colder place to condition. They should improve with time, trust me
I started 2nd fermentation on December 28th, but I get what you mean if you're saying because they were to cold it didn't start untill I put them in a warmer place last week, then I'll condition them for longer

Latest posts

Back