Priming beer with elderflower cordial...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Algernon

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this? The better half thought it might be interesting as an experiment, perhaps with a paler, hoppier ale. I'll give it a shot unless anyone has had any really bad experiences or generally thinks (with evidence) that it would be a terrible plan. Probably wouldn't do many to start of, just a half dozen experimental bottles.
What are your thoughts, people?

alawlor66430 said:
That's sounds good, infant i might try a couple cervesas with that one, well done man!!
You have to love autocorrect! :lol:

Sounds interesting, I'm bottling next weekend, I may have to try a few of these myself

Elderflower cordial has been used on a wilko golden ale, spiced up with chinook and citra and a wee bit more MO as I get used to working my BIAB skills.
I also used some Agave Nectar and gale's honey. Not all in the same bottles, for safety reasons...
The rest were done with granulated sugar for comparative purposes and to avoid ruining a whole batch in case it turns out horrid.
I am quite hopeful of the elderflower though, it smelled like the beer does already with those hops in it.
More on this in a couple of weeks or so.

Well, it's been a few weeks now and the beer is generally pretty good now the hoppiness has calmed down. Oddly the elderflower ones seem to taste more bitter than the non-EC ones. Maybe it enhances hop bitterness or something?
It has added a floral note to the finished beer, so could be interesting with a wheat beer or similar. I will probably do this again, it seems to be something that could work well with the right beer.

Algernon said:
Well, it's been a few weeks now and the beer is generally pretty good now the hoppiness has calmed down. Oddly the elderflower ones seem to taste more bitter than the non-EC ones. Maybe it enhances hop bitterness or something?
It has added a floral note to the finished beer, so could be interesting with a wheat beer or similar. I will probably do this again, it seems to be something that could work well with the right beer.

Sounds like an interesting idea, I made up some elderflower cordial recently from frozen elderflowers (turned out just as well as the freshly picked elderflowers) was wondering how much cordial you used per bottle? Could work well with an IPA perhaps.

I used 10ml which equtes to 7g of sugar, worked out by looking at the amount in grams of carbohydrate (of which sugars) per 100ml on the label. I involved maths since they give the figures for diluted product, but happily they suggest diluting 1/10 so it wasn't much maths.
Turns out 7g is too much even for swmbo, for whom it was intended. Since you have made your own cordial, I guess you would just need to work out how much sugar you put into the stuff and do a similar bit of maths.
I advise going for half as much though, which would still make a sparkling IPA with at least as much spritz to it as a bottled shop ale. Mine was much more carbonated, which brought out the hop aromas nicely but made filling a glass tricky.

Like this idea - a lot. I have added elderflowers to the brew before to keep the other half happy - Golden Glory is her tipple, so she loves the flowery sweet aftertaste. Defo going to give this a whirl...

Worth a whirl, certainly. Let us know what you do and how you get on :thumb:

Algernon said:
I used 10ml which equtes to 7g of sugar, worked out by looking at the amount in grams of carbohydrate (of which sugars) per 100ml on the label. I involved maths since they give the figures for diluted product, but happily they suggest diluting 1/10 so it wasn't much maths.
Turns out 7g is too much even for swmbo, for whom it was intended. Since you have made your own cordial, I guess you would just need to work out how much sugar you put into the stuff and do a similar bit of maths.
I advise going for half as much though, which would still make a sparkling IPA with at least as much spritz to it as a bottled shop ale. Mine was much more carbonated, which brought out the hop aromas nicely but made filling a glass tricky.

Thanks for the reply, I'll look back in my notes and see how much sugar I used in the cordial and go from there. Like the idea of this and will definitely give it a go with my next IPA, perhaps not all 40 bottles but 10-15 as an experiment. :cheers:

I’ve done this loads of times. Works a treat. I avoid the cheaper cordials with lemon juice, although I’ve no evidence I don’t think the drop in pH would be a good idea.

Latest posts

Back