Priming cider with apple squash concentrate?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmrevis

Reaction score
Could i use apple squash concentrate (the Tesco double concentrated diluting squash) to prime my cider when bottling? I have used it to mix with my first batch of cider (fully made and bottled already) which was too dry for my taste. As well as sweetening it, it also gave a boost to the apple scent on the nose and of course the apple flavour.
I was wondering with my next batch currently fermenting if i could prime with apple concentrate or a mix of concentrate and sugar.
I always use 1 teaspoon of sugar (equal to 3g according to my digital scales) per 750ml bottle. This has always given a light sparkle to my cider - just how i like it not too fizzy.
The concentrate states per 25ml it contains 0.5 grammes of sugar. I'd say using 150ml per 750ml bottle to prime is too much so could i use 1/2 teaspoon of sugar with 75ml of concentrate? Or maybe 3/4 teaspoon and 50ml of concentrate? Or something along those lines? As long as the sugar of the combined priming agent made 3grammes i'd be ok, no?
How is my theory?

I honestly don't know.
Diluting squash is full of acid and flavour enhancers so the only way you'll find out is to try it!
Don't think anybody's used it, hence no replies.
I personally would stick to "white sugar" for priming and something like "splenda" for sweetening.

This could be interesting. I had a closer look at the ingredients of the concentrate and it contains potassium sorbate as a preservative. Unless im mistaken this is used in home wine making to kill fermentation to cut the risk of exploding bottles. This would suggest using concentrate to prime my cider would stop secondary fermentation. I did a test bottle in a plastic bottle using half sugar and half concentrate to prime. So far its still soft suggesting the above is true.

Back